Huge size of WinSxS folder.

i-am-L

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
I am using Windows 10 Pro x64.
One day I ran out of space from C: drive. I checked and found that WinSxS is consuming 9GB of my disk.
I did Disk Cleanup and also clicked on Clean system files, no use.
I won't delete it because it's a critical info folder.

Please help.

Solution
its where all your windows updates are stored for one .. so it will only clean up whats unnecessary [opinion]

When Windows installs updates, it drops the new Windows component in the WinSXS folder and keeps the old component in the WinSXS folder. This means that every Windows Update you install increases the size of your WinSXS folder. This allows you to uninstall operating system updates from the Control Panel, which can be useful in the case of a buggy update — but it’s a feature that’s rarely used.

so if you got 9mb worth of needed updates that's what it is

mine in property's shows its 11.5 mb -- whats that on a 500gb drive ?? next to nothing ??

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795190
its where all your windows updates are stored for one .. so it will only clean up whats unnecessary [opinion]

When Windows installs updates, it drops the new Windows component in the WinSXS folder and keeps the old component in the WinSXS folder. This means that every Windows Update you install increases the size of your WinSXS folder. This allows you to uninstall operating system updates from the Control Panel, which can be useful in the case of a buggy update — but it’s a feature that’s rarely used.

so if you got 9mb worth of needed updates that's what it is

mine in property's shows its 11.5 mb -- whats that on a 500gb drive ?? next to nothing ??

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2795190

Solution
For the record, my win8.1 (64bit) has winsxs at 7.59GB and my laptop (8.1 64bit also) has it at 8.16GB.
other laptop running win10, 64 bit, (the fall update) has it at 6.14GB so... yeah, it is a bit iffy and not totally only windows updates there.

This post has no solutions, only reference that your 9GB is not all that far from the "normal" size.

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
On my primary 8.1 Pro system, the SxS folder is 10.4GB.
On my Win 10 Pro HTPC, it is 5.93GB (but that system does not have a lot of stuff installed)