Why does wifi work better on my desktop than ethernet does?

davida9202

Reputable
Oct 25, 2015
Ok, so I have had a Wi-Fi card in my desktop for almost a year now, and rarely experienced any issues online or in multiplayer games. Now, I decided to try Ethernet and I am getting the same upload/download speed, but almost every ten or so minutes, I experience my internet's speed dropping from around 50 MB/s to maybe 5 for a consistent 5 minutes and then raises back up again. I never had this issue when running on Wi-Fi. Can someone please tell me why this is happening or how I can fix it/should I switch back to Wi-Fi?

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
First try a known good Ethernet cable plugged directly into the router to eliminate a wiring fault. It does happen. If this is the case then you will need to work from the commuter all the way to the router to find the fault.

Next, reinstall the network driver with the most recent version. If the one Windows finds doesn't fix the problem then download the latest version from the manufacturers web site as the Windows update version may be the cause of the problem. The correct manufacturer will be either the maker of the computer, motherboard or plugin networking card, depending on your machine. The chip maker may also have a driver if other options don't work out.

Last, and a long shot, the Ethernet jack on the computer could just be bad.

Switching back to wifi will just bring you back to the problem that caused you to try Ethernet in the first place.