Does Windows 10 Home let you turn off forced updates/restarts?

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
So I just got everything together for a new build. I'm considering Windows 10. I'd love to just use Linux, but I still need Windows for some stuff. However, I've been hearing disturbing things about Windows 10 Home forcing updates/system restarts and giving the user no option to turn this off.

I can't tell whether this was only in the Windows 10 open beta or only for users who get the free upgrade from previous versions of Windows or for all users. I'm planning to get buy a completely new Windows 10 Home Full Version (since the latest version of Windows I currently have is Vista).

So what is going on with Windows 10 right now? Forced updates are a big pet peeve of mine. I strongly prefer operating systems to tell me when updates are available and give me the option to decide what I want. It's my computer after all. Forced system restarts just seem moronic.

Thanks.

1) Security updates are mandatory, as they should be. It's not about your computer, it's about everyone else having to deal with your computer being infected because a security patch wasn't installed.
2) You can chose when the system restarts after a patch. You can delay it up to a week.
3) You can block driver updates on any version
4) You can delay certain (not security related) updates for months in Pro, EDU, and Enterprise versions

Sparktown

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015

Are there any bad/strange consequences to setting your connection to "metered" even when it isn't? Can you set your connection to "metered" regardless of how you connect to the internet? I've read some people saying that you can only set your connection to "metered" if you connect via wi-fi. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I was wondering if it was actually true.

1) Only works on Wi-Fi
2) You will get NO updates whatsoever. That includes app updates which may be required to use services you want. When you re-enable it you'll download all the updates anyway.
3) You put yourself and anyone else at risk for no reason. Anti-vaxers like you are why viruses spread, since distributed immunity is more important than personal immunity.