Will I Lose My Data Upgrading To Windows 10?

Solution

Going to Win 10, you need 1 of 2 things.
Either a currently running Win 7/8.1 OS and Upgrade that
or
The actual Win 7/8/8.1 license key. You can do a clean install with that.

Either way...almost certainly no problem.

'almost certainly' = "CRAP! The cat (or your 2 year old) walked by and pulled the power cable from the wall in the middle of the process. My system is now...

USAFRet

Titan

Probably not. In all the systems I've Upgraded, I lost nothing.
However, there is always the (small) possibility.

Click the right checkbox.
Be prepared for it things go wrong.

Tank36

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

Should I "Upgrade" my operating system, or wipe my hard drive and do a fresh install?

No you won't loose your data if you’re on Windows 8.1, just like Windows 7, you can keep your personal data, Windows settings and most of the applications while upgrading to Windows 10.

However, note that Windows Media Center will not be available in Windows 10. When you upgrade your Windows 8.1 installation with Windows Media Center to Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be left out. And I always do a clean install after backing up what I don't want to lose you'll still have to install windows 10 drivers after an up grade so why not do a clean install if you have your important files backed up

USAFRet

Titan

Going to Win 10, you need 1 of 2 things.
Either a currently running Win 7/8.1 OS and Upgrade that
or
The actual Win 7/8/8.1 license key. You can do a clean install with that.

Either way...almost certainly no problem.

'almost certainly' = "CRAP! The cat (or your 2 year old) walked by and pulled the power cable from the wall in the middle of the process. My system is now hosed"
(yes, I've read about that happening)

Solution

Billenert

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
If you upgrade from clicking the Windows 10 icon in the right side of the taskbar, it will keep everything where it is. Please note that previous versions of Windows take around 20 GB of space (can be deleted) and appears when you upgrade via the icon on the taskbar. On my OS (from windows 7 professional), it took 19.6 GB.