1440p, 144hz, IPS, G-Sync Monitors?

Brandon Wallace

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Are there any monitors like this available other than the Acer XB270HU and the Asus PG279Q? Or any that are set to be released soon?

Solution
3840x2160:

Acer Predator XB321HK
Asus ROG Swift PG27AQ

2560x1440:

Acer Predator XB270HU
Acer Predator XB271HU
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

None that I know of are going to be released soon, just same or very similar panel not worth mentioning. I prefer VA over IPS, and so unfortunately there are no 16:9 VA with G-Sync, just Ultrawide with FreeSync...

Acer XZ350CU

And upcoming with G-Sync:

Acer Predator Z35

I don't think it's worth waiting, you'll always pay a premium for anything G-Sync and FreeSync, though I believe you pay more for G-Sync. As long as game developers can't make games properly, then the stutter is going to bother a lot of people, but I don't see G-Sync making a big difference in the market anytime soon, just a...
Thatz pretty much it..... are you looking for a better feature set, improved performance of just looking for something that doesn't cost $700. If it's the latter, i wouldn't hold out for much hope....anything significantly cheaper would have to compromise component quality

3840x2160:

Acer Predator XB321HK
Asus ROG Swift PG27AQ

2560x1440:

Acer Predator XB270HU
Acer Predator XB271HU
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

None that I know of are going to be released soon, just same or very similar panel not worth mentioning. I prefer VA over IPS, and so unfortunately there are no 16:9 VA with G-Sync, just Ultrawide with FreeSync...

Acer XZ350CU

And upcoming with G-Sync:

Acer Predator Z35

I don't think it's worth waiting, you'll always pay a premium for anything G-Sync and FreeSync, though I believe you pay more for G-Sync. As long as game developers can't make games properly, then the stutter is going to bother a lot of people, but I don't see G-Sync making a big difference in the market anytime soon, just a luxury item.

Solution
1. Just to clarify, the Acer Predator XB271HU / Asus ROG Swift PG279Q are 165 Hz monitor as opposed to 144 Hz ? The Acer should be available after the 1st of the year.

2. The reason G-Sync has a cost premium is that it comes with hardware, Freesync does not. The way G-sync works:

-Ya use G-Sync to handle issues when fps is < 60 fps.
-Ya use ULMB when fps > 60 fps and if you are buying a 120 / 144 / 165 Hz monitor, then I would expect, ya looking to be above 60 fps most of the time; otherwise, no reason to not get 60- Hz monitor.

3. So why buy 165 Hz over 144 Hz ? The 165 versus 144 doesn't seem to be noticeable; but what is noticeable, the 144 Hz models can only run ULMB at 85 or 100 Hz (as far as I have seen so far). The 165 Hz models takes that up to 120 Hz.

The Acer XB270HU is down to $666
Asus PG279Q is still $800
Cheapest I have seen the Acer XB271HU has been $913

Right, but despite being hardware, it shouldn't be this expensive, that is not a reason to price it that high. If games were done properly on PC, then we wouldn't need either, as has been proven by the frame times between the console games and PC, which makes me sad. Have you ever played a new release on PC? It's a horrible experience in my opinion, and more often than not, there is never a patch that completely fixes performance issues with a game, but damn sure within a week you'll be able to spend your real money on in-game items, that's priority in the industry today.

To comment on what you said about FPS and Hz. You still benefit from the faster response time, that doesn't change depending on how FPS you're getting, FPS is literally the higher the smoother it gets, more FPS doesn't equal faster transitions, as one is dynamic and the other is static. While it may sound like a rant, I really don't like what they're doing at all, it's like game developers intentionally made their games worse, and helped develop G-Sync/FreeSync behind the scenes...

If people want good looking premium monitors, then buy VA. While this sounds completely off topic, this is really the direction the market should be going. With the new AHVA "gaming" panels, they sacrifice color for speed, as has been proven mutliple times. We're not exactly moving forward in the monitor industry...