Best IPS display for work

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
I'm looking to spend about 1000-1200 eur on new display, here is the problem:

Originally I planned buying this one: Dell U3014 http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3014/pd
I did very indepth reaserch, I found out that it has its cons (even being very expensive and „top of the line“), worst of them is backlight bleed, even today U3014 is REV A07 (7 version of this monitor) I don't think they fix backlight bleed (can't find any intel on that).

And rescently I came across this puppy: LG 31MU97-B http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-31MU97-B-4k-ips-led-monitor
It has humongos true 4K wide res, tho its not 12bit as dell, but still 10 bit (i hope it will be enough to avoid color banding?) pannel with fraction more Adobe RGB coveridge (99% vs 99,5%). It has same problm too - backlight bleeding.

Logicaly I should go for LG (its even cheaper than Dell, tho Dell has 3 year warranty vs LG 1 year), but here comes problems:
1. PPI - Dell is about 100, LG 150. I really don't want to upscale UI, is 150PPI will be still workable with no upscaling?
2. Horspower to drive 4K, I own Quadro 6000, it max res at 60hz is 2560x1600 (as dell, that why I was looking at it in the first place). What will happend if I plug 4K LG to my Quadro? Will it even work (just on lower hz)? Or not at the full resoliution? I don't have a clue what to expect in this situation.
3. I found few Koreans versions of Dell on half a price, they lack of color calibration capabilities, but they work prety well according to reviewers.
4. Im not huge fan of apple, but I must admint that one thing they make good, that is displays, maybe I should go for apple display? I believe they have lower GtoG refresh time, but not so bad or even no backlight bleed.

Btw, no gaming, only for work - 3D, photos, videos, dall ~1200 eur, LG ~1050 eur

These displays ar very expensive, so this desition is very hard to make, I hope someone can advice, and sorry for mistakes, english is not my native language.

spagalicious

Distinguished

This is your card, correct?
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=quadro+6000+

Yes, the maximum supported resolution is 2560x1600 (16:10) @ 60Hz. You will not be able to drive 4K@60Hz with DisplayPort 1.1a. Your card's full specification sheet:
https://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/40049/NV_DS_QUADRO_6000_Oct10_US_LR.pdf

So yes I would go for a the highest quality 2560x1600 panel you can find in your price range. What is your preferred e-tailer or online store to buy from so that we can suggest a couple panels?

Your graphics card is what determines the max resolution it can output.
The monitor defines the max resolution it can display.
Keeping your current graphics card, I think you should be looking at a 30" 2560 x 1600 ips monitor.
1440P 0r 1600P will need a dual link dvi port which I hope your card has.
I have a Nixeus vue 30" which I find to be excellent.
http://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Vue-2560x1600-WQXGA-Monitor/dp/B00CHDHE0W

If you are interested in a 4k monitor, I can recommend the Philips 40" 4k monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDM4065UC-Resolution-Speakers-DisplayPort/dp/B00SCX78JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450718164&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+bdm4065uc

You will need a graphics card that supports 4k via displayport.
For desktop work, it need not be powerful.
A 4k monitor will have small native text, so a larger screen size is helpful.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Well, sorry, but it doesn't help me a lot cos "happy" is not what im looking for, what Im looking for is acurate color representation, wide gamut and feedback how they work in real life production envoronment, but thanks for sharing you have even two of them (again, no model, very usefull).

Sorry, I don't see the point paying more for same manufacturer (LG in this case) panel, Dell has faroty calibration and good calibration capabilities. Even cheaper 2560x1600 IPS displays are using same LG panel, but they lack interface options for color calibration, so they're not suited to me

spagalicious

Distinguished

Where do you wish to buy the panel from? We cannot suggest to you a panel in your price range without a link to a preferred retailer. We can list out productivity panels all day, it won't matter if they aren't available in your country/preferred retailer.

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Yes, thats my GPU.
The key point here is @60hz, maybe my GPU could pull 4k but in lower hz? I was told it should work with lower hz, tho can't confirm or deny.
As what with retailer - my prefered retailer is who has smallest prices :)

I was looking at it (same LG panel), I prefer Dell cos its has 3 year warianty, factory calibration and probably better/same menu options for color settings, Dell is 7th revision aswell, and the price is same. Tho I love to know how its backlight bleed?

That Philips only 8 bits and not IPS so no good for me.

Yes, I need to upgrade my GPU for 4K display, but im not feeling I need 4K that much cos Quadro 6000 is very expensive, and I'm watercooling it, so upgrading GPU are out of my pocket capabilities now :)

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

If I need something I don't look it localy, I look for it world wide and compare prices and specs I need.
Tho I can't complain about prices or lack of choice here, I'm from Lithuania (EU).
As I said, I don't have prefered seller.

spagalicious

Distinguished
There is no direct advantage to 4K as of now besides increased screen real-estate. You should be looking at 2560x1600 panels, it is not worth buying a 4K panel to run at 30Hz even if you could.

If you could, please post links to your preferred e-tailer(s) so that we can help make suggestions. I am, and likely others are, not familiar with european computer parts stores.

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Well, ok, if you want it soo bad look at this link, there are few stores who sells Dell I need with prices:
http://www.kaina24.lt/p/dell-u3014/
You could go directly to every shop by clicking green button with „Į parduotuvę“ on it
I don't know if it will be helpfull to you cos of the language :)

P.S. why runing 4K in @30hz is bad?

Sorry I couldn't help more. I like the resolution and size. The extra height is very useful for what I do. Yes, when I turn off the lights I can see the screen is not very dark. This was a surprise to me. With normal lighting and usage, the colors, brightness and darkness is great. I do electronics design and layout with them.

I do not do color processing so I cannot help you there.

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

I suppose its Dell U3014 you are using? Can you look on back of you monitor and say what revision number it is? Its should be in this formas: REV A0* (*- number). Is it good for photoshop/other production? You don't find you have to turn your head alot cos of 30 size? Maybe you are using Wacom? I'm interesting how tablet feels on this huge screen. How long you having them and if there any dead pixels in them? Sorry for so many quastions, but looks like you are the only one who has display im about to buy. Im a bit surprised you dont need acurate colors on designs.

I am on vacation so I cannot tell you what the revision is but it is probably an early one because I got it a month or two after the LED version was released.3014. My design work is in electronics with schematics and laying out circuits. You don't need accurate colors, you need size and resolution.

If you were to read all the various reviews on this site they do a lot of those large color gamut monitor reviews.

spagalicious

Distinguished
When considering a monitor, it is important to remember that manufacturer claims are not always true. While manufacturers may claim 99% coverage of Adobe RGB, the actual value may be closer to 97% or 95%.

This graph is from Tom's review of the NEC PA322UHD. You can see that the panel was able to only cover 95-96% of the gamut, despite being advertised to cover 99.2%.
15-gamutvol.png

This graph is from a recent review of the BenQ SW2700PT, also advertised to cover 99% of Adobe RGB.
15-gamutvol_w_755.png

The NEC is 32" 3840x2160 and costs $3000. The BenQ is 2560x1440 and costs $630. Money is not always an indication of quality. You should search reviews of the panels you are interested and use their performance to decide. I don't have any panels to suggest based on personal experience. You seem to be somewhat dissatisfied with the panels that people have suggested.

If you know what kind of performance you require from a panel, use reviews and specifications to find a panel that fits your desired budget.

sRGB and only matte displays will display accurate colors. Reviewers are paid to lie. aRGB is useless for home use. As far as monitors go, try one in person. Reviewers get monitors that aren't sold on the market, glow, bleed instantly ruins any accuracy... For your type of work, any high resolution monitor is fine, avoid 4k.

All the best!

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

spagalicious, thank you for sharing specs. those are really handy, sadly there isn't Dell or LG I'm picking from, tho Dell UP32 have really good specs. And I would love to see some Apple Cinema displays in comparison with these.

Well, I did point out earlied that NEC is overprised for no reason. Though its logical NEC should be more pricy for 2 simple reasons:
1. NEC has 2,25 times more pixels than BenQ
2. NEC has extra 5"

And comparing 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 prices with simmilar panel quality - price diferences is huge. And I don't understand why, tho I always prefer 16x10 monitors, maybe it's becouse its „golden ratio“ of 1 to 1,6.

Can you or anyone point out why NEC is so overpriced? I probably would bet that true 4K LG I'm considering purchasing would beat that NEC on color representation. LG has more resolution and is ~2,5 cheaper (well, NEC is bigger, but 1" isn't deal breaker even for women).
I believe most (if not all) top of the line displays I found uses LG panesls.

Ok, I went out of road, lets get back on topic:
I don't think anyone could offer me a better display in same price/spec range. I will admit that Dell is overpriced, but I've seen solid studios use it. I've read A LOT of reviews on it, and they are true reviews with all the flaws - those flaws is a reason why im here. I can live with other flaws, but light bleed concerns me.
I'm a bit surprised you haven't done some spec test on Dell U3014, cos they are prety popular among studios, and they are around for a very long time now (7nt revision).

You look like person who had oportunity to play with 4K display, is the UI is too small without scaling?

Any facts on your comment?
I wish I had chance to test them in persone, but its not possible.

spagalicious

Distinguished

I very much doubt the LG would beat the NEC in terms of performance. Also, your card lacks the ability to output the resolution for either display. NEC is able to command such a price for a reason. You can bet there will be no bleed or glow present in the NEC panel. The LG will most likely not be held to the same QC standards of the NEC. The NEC also has a 14-bit LUT for calibration, the LG is a 10-bit panel. The LG can only operate at it full 17:9 resolution of 4096x2160 @ 50Hz.

3Dgeo

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Are you working at NEC? Cos you're promoting it as if you get commissions...

spagalicious

Distinguished
Well then I suggest you stop posting on this thread. You have not listened to any posters suggestions and have touted the LG as your primary interest.

Many have listed specifications that you should be most concerned with for graphic design but you seem to continually brickwall suggestions. We are trying to help you, that is how these forums work.

As for the bit about NEC, I was trying to explain the specifications that distinguish high quality professional panels from the rest. Besides, the NEC costs 3 times as much as the LG, I was not suggesting it. Just comparing the two since you stated the NEC was overpriced.

If you get the LG, you will not be able to output @ its native resolution because your graphics card does not support resolutions above 2560x1600.

Happy holidays friend and I hope you find what you are looking for.