How was your experience when you first ordered your parts?

zeeman706

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
When you first bought your components for you computer, what do you wish was different?

What was the most stressful part of picking and ordering your parts?

Were you satisfied with the outcome?

Solution
First time PC builder looking for advices i assume?
Well,it depends on what you'll be using your PC in.
For gaming,pretty much everything speaks for itself.Expensive GPU means more performance.
Minimum 8GB of ram for a gaming PC,good reputed one,it really works that way. A bit of difference in CAS timing doesn't create a huge impact in performance.
CPU for gaming,4 intel cores are enough for games today,you can see an i5 in most high- end gaming machines today.Any other task than gaming,like streaming,editing and stuff can be taken care by extra threads of i7.
Choosing a PSU could be a tricky task,we've seen most of the people going cheap on PSUs,but when they are cheaper,they could be dangerous Power Boxes too,so safety first.Thanks to...

MurrayA

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
The most stressful part was waiting for them to come. For my first build i thought the motherboard was dead. Turned out I forgot to plug the CPU power in XD woops

zeeman706

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks for answering! so what type of system do you wish was in place to help you with this?
What would you change? Would you download an app to track all your packages at once?

Tho this is likely to happen sometimes when you first start building PC's, after enough experience and thorough research, "buyer's remorse" rarely sets in. The only time I have regretted purchase decisions is when I jumped in a little earlier than usual when anxious to do a new build before the MoBos got into their 2nd of 3rd major stepping. And that's the best advice I can give .... Don't rely on brand loyalty. Just because you did all your research and concluded for your current build that Brand A had the best MoBo for you and Brand B had the best PSU for you and so on, by the time you do your next build, it will be rare that the same brands have maintained that position.

What was the most stressful part of picking and ordering your parts?

None really ..... if you have done your research, you should feel quite confident in your purchases. Consider:

a) Industry failure rates for consumer products in consumer applications. Avoid cross platform comparisons like consumer drives in server environments.

b) Performance - numbers don't lie. If two items are the same price, the one that's faster wins.

c) User satisfaction - newegg user reviews..... if one GFX card or MoBo say has 23% of it's users rating the product they bought with a extremely negative 1 egg rating and the other product you are considering has 6%, then that (provided there's enough reviews to be statistically relevant, to my eyes, that's a very strong indicator of my chances to be satisfied.

Were you satisfied with the outcome?

I have had some disappointments in the last 25 years, usually when I didn't invest enough time in research because "I had good luck with the company in the past" or I or one of my users was in a rush and didn't wait till their was enough published data in available on the product. While we used Asus MoBos / GFX in most of our builds for a good number of years, there was a significant drop in performance and quality with Z87 / Z97 / X79 / X99 and the 7xx / 9xx GFX series. With Z170, from a performance standpoint, they are returning to form it would appear, tho the price premium for the RoG line is still unwarranted.

SPgamer007

Honorable
First time PC builder looking for advices i assume?
Well,it depends on what you'll be using your PC in.
For gaming,pretty much everything speaks for itself.Expensive GPU means more performance.
Minimum 8GB of ram for a gaming PC,good reputed one,it really works that way. A bit of difference in CAS timing doesn't create a huge impact in performance.
CPU for gaming,4 intel cores are enough for games today,you can see an i5 in most high- end gaming machines today.Any other task than gaming,like streaming,editing and stuff can be taken care by extra threads of i7.
Choosing a PSU could be a tricky task,we've seen most of the people going cheap on PSUs,but when they are cheaper,they could be dangerous Power Boxes too,so safety first.Thanks to the people out there who put their times in creating PSU tier lists,it helps people selecting the right PSU for their RIG.
Techsites like johnyGURU etc. who test PSUs in depth.

That's Pretty much it from me.

Now to your question,
My very first PC was not made by me but i bought an already made Normal/Very Low end gaming PC.

When i first finished up building my Gaming PC

1.I was happy with each of my components,as i searched for each of them and got some knowledge before purchasing them,i made everything sure and bought all,in the hope that all the parts should work properly.

2. PSU.As i said,it can be a tricky situation as there are so many of them on the market,a good advice would be to look up the OEM of the PSU,you can trust Seasonic,EVGA today,they make good stuff.

3. Totally.

After setting up everything and starting the PC for the first time,there was no display,i though any of my components is bad,turned out that i didn't powered ON my PC. :lol:

It felt so good getting into the bios for the first time after setting up everything. :bounce:

Solution