Can't delete file, it 'doesn't exist... >:(

Andrew Peskett

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Hi all, I have three files that have 0 bytes sitting in my desktop, they are named with some asian characters and can only be seen in the 'recent files' section of my quick access bar in explorer. When I go to file location it says they are in my desktop, but they aren't. I can't delete them from quick access and can't find them anywhere else in my PC, please help!

https://gyazo.com/0bb7fe3f15d4950677dbc3f985b7b9e7

Solution
Hi,

download a rescue disk or put the drive in another computer as slave, you should be able to remove it.

If not, it might be cause by a virus
G

Alright then, open up command prompt (cmd for short) and use this command:

C:\Windows\System32>cd C:\Users\*Your username here*\Desktop

Hit enter, then:

C:\Users\*Your username here*\Desktop>delete *name of that file*

EDIT: You won't need to type in the part before the ">" in either of those lines, just FYI

Since I'm assuming you don't have a chinese keyboard, you'll have to "rename" the file and copy/paste the file name into command prompt after the delete command.

Andrew Peskett

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

I cant rename it, says "system cannot find the file specified"

G

Like what JamesSneed said, this is a little unusual, I'd suggest running a full scan with something like malwarebytes to see if it can find anything.

G

Also, you might want to try opening up command prompt and entering this:

cd C:\Users\*your username*\Dekstop

Hit enter then type:

dir

After that, look in the list it gives you and see if those files show up in the list.

RayWill135

Honorable
Jan 17, 2015

I think I found out how to delete it. Right click the file or folder and go to properties. Go down to where it says Attributes, and uncheck Read-only and Check Hidden. There should be a thing that pops up, and then press try again and it should delete it. That's what I did, and it worked.