Installing Win 10 Pro Using an OEM License on a Computer Already Running Win 10 Home

Ryan_Mobi

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
OK I'll give as much info as possible and then drop two questions at the end

So basically I need to get several laptops onto Win 10 Pro.
The laptops were purchased recently and came pre-installed with Win 10 Home. We have since bought OEM licenses for Win 10 Pro. I cannot use the "Change Product Key" field to upgrade as it says the licenses cannot be used for this purpose. Windows confirmed this on the phone.
Trying to do a fresh install of Win 10 Pro doesn't prompt me to enter a license key (which is weird because at that point the drive has been wiped and the computer hasn't been connected to the internet so not sure how it identifies that the hardware has a license key allocated). At the end of the fresh install checking the version running it states Win 10 Home and I'm back to square one with a pre-allocated license key.
So I have a few questions

First plain and simply is there any way I can get these laptops to be running Win 10 Pro by using OEM keys?
Second if windows allocates hardware configs a product key when installed and stores that somewhere (and doesn't require access to internet to retrieve that) then is there somewhere I can go to remove that information? BIOS maybe?

Any info would be appreciated

Hi,

Yes you can upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with just a product key. Here's the steps on how to do it.
- Click Start then Settings, once in Settings click on System.
- Click About on the left pane then select Change product key or upgrade your edition of Windows. Just click Yes if User Account Control will open.
- Enter your Win 10 Pro product key and just wait until it gets verified.
- Your PC will reboot several time during the upgrade process.

Ryan_Mobi

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

Hi,

No that doesn't work. I stated in my post that trying to go through the "Change Product Key" method doesn't work as the licenses are OEM. I rang and spoke to windows about this and they confirmed that those keys cannot be used in this way due to them being OEM also