Blue Screen (system service exception) This is supposed to be a Christmas present :(

JohnnyC89

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
I just built a new computer and have been randomly getting this error message from time to time...and sometimes have trouble even getting the computer back to the Desktop without hitting the blue screen again....if I'm on the desktop and it happens it usually says (atikmdag.sys) at the end...sounds like a graphics card issue, however I have the latest drivers for the card (non beta)...when attempting a restart to fix and it hits blue screen right after that bit at the end is not there...here are comp. specs

Motherboard - MSI 760GMA-P34 (FX)
CPU - AMD 8320E
GPU - ASUS R7 360
RAM - Avexir Blitz 1.1 - 16gb 1866mhz (dual channel)
HDD - WD 1tb blue
Power - Corsair CX600M
OS - Windows 10 Home

I have some possible theories
The RAM may be causing issues...Avexir does not use the more common Samsung chips I don't think and has (Intel optimized) all over the packaging...I will try swapping G-Skill RAM from another comp soon to test this

Also I didn't realize at the time but the motherboard has no drivers from MSI past windows 7...could that be causing issues?...

And of course there's that ending on some of the blue screens indicating a graphics car issue...could the latest drivers for Windows 10 on a GPU be creating issues on a board with no Windows 10 drivers?

lotsa possibilities, I just don't know...this was supposed to be a Christmas present, but diagnosing takes forever because it could take a while to blue screen...the thing even past the RealBench stress test and all benchmarks without a problem...but an hour later flipping through a web page it screened...weird....I should note that it did NOT blue screen the first time until AFTER I had downloaded the latest GPU drivers...maybe nothing...maybe everything...either way, not sure on a fix yet...please help

JohnnyC89

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

I already have the latest driver from there...first thing I did

JohnnyC89

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

So I ran that (thank you) and it appears atikmdag.sys was the cause...so GPU problems...I unistalled all AMD graphics related software and reinstalled the latest drivers again...it appears that every time I try to install the drivers, I get the blue screen....hmmmm I know what it is now...but not how to fix it

JohnnyC89

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
I just completely restored the computer, fresh install of Windows 10, cleared all files...and I cant even be on the desktop or do anything for more than 30 seconds before it blue screens again...onlt this time is usally says System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled_(atikmdag.sys)...not handled be the change from before...I did have time enough last time to check device manager and its only running the Windows basic display adapter now not the 360...is that because I didn't have time to download a driver yet or no?...I feel like thats not how it did it the first time...I don't know what to do...I cant even get ON the desktop half the time now

JohnnyC89

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

Think you may be right...Im about outta options...Unless you think its worth trying a different PCI slot?