Windows 10 randomly slows to crawl

Mknight2241

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
From time to time my computer will slow to an absolute crawl, it can take 4-5 minutes just to bring up task manager, but when I check the performance tab nothing looks out of place. My computer looks to be idling with only 1% CPU, 12% Memory and 0-1% Disk but everything takes a ridiculous amount of time to load.

This started happening shortly after I did the Windows 10 update in July/August but I was also having a couple of other issues at this time and had though that both my memory and hard-drive were at fault which I have since replaced both. I have checked the windows event viewer and was also getting errors related to the page file size and windows update errors which I have since fixed but nothing seems to help the slow downs.

They happen most commonly when the computer has been left inactive for an extended period of time, normally if I don't shut it down over night, but recently it has been happening even if I boot up for the first time of the day and am forced to restart my computer.

After I restart my computer then it will typically be fine for the rest of the day but not always.

Another odd thing is during the slow down, if I try to alt+ctrl+del then I get a black screen for about 10 minutes and get the following error:
Failure to display security and shut down options. The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch.

My current system specs are:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 4.00 GHz
16 GB RAM
850 EVO 120GB SSD with OS installed
WD Black 1TB HDD for storage/apps

Any advise on finding and fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Win 10 is extremely buggy.

If you have a Restore Point from before this happened, do that.

If that doesn't work start with getting the latest updates.

Those stats won't slow down any computer. Get Task Scheduler running, Details.

Start one of whatever takes forever to load and monitor it by switching between CPU and Memory, something should stand out like a light bulb.

You didn't list your GPU, if it's Nvidia you have problems there. They don't work well with Win 10.

With that many problems you'll probably be in for a clean reinstall.

Bill

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Win 10 is extremely buggy.

If you have a Restore Point from before this happened, do that.

If that doesn't work start with getting the latest updates.

Those stats won't slow down any computer. Get Task Scheduler running, Details.

Start one of whatever takes forever to load and monitor it by switching between CPU and Memory, something should stand out like a light bulb.

You didn't list your GPU, if it's Nvidia you have problems there. They don't work well with Win 10.

With that many problems you'll probably be in for a clean reinstall.

Bill

Solution