How to clean install windows on a new SSD? Upgraded from built in win 8 (8.1 after update) to win 10

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hello!

How can I clean install windows 10 on a new SSD, saving the fact that I had original windows (that was purchased built in with the laptop)? Do I need to find the CD key?
I have a generic one as I upgraded to windows 10 for free (or are all windows 10 have generic CD keys?).

Shorter: How can I use my Windows licence on a new SSD?

Thank you very much!

Solution
Once you have W10 upgraded from W7/8/8.1 and is activated on your MB, you can do clean install any time you want as long as it is on same MB. It's recorded in MS database. It doesn't matter if it is new/old SSD or HDD, it's tied up to your MB only.

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Thank you very much :)

I can skip it even with a new SSD, and it will still be the same licence? Or is it even that nowdays everybody can install win 10 freely and legally?

Once you have W10 upgraded from W7/8/8.1 and is activated on your MB, you can do clean install any time you want as long as it is on same MB. It's recorded in MS database. It doesn't matter if it is new/old SSD or HDD, it's tied up to your MB only.

Solution

romanon

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Guys thank you alot!
I got it, hopefully will change the drive soon, will get the SSD in a couple of days :)

Btw as the windows got a generic CD key, it feels like I "lost my rights" with windows licence. Will I be able to install windows 8 again? (or even 7?)

You can't use them at same time as W 10, you didn't loose W8 or W7 license, you can always install them again using same registration. You have until July next year to take MS on free W10 upgrade.