[Audio] Need references for 5.1 SS on PC. Totally new/ignorant.

Jul 24, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my PC sound system. I have an Asus H97-Pro motherboard. I have a Blu-ray drive as a media source, too. My budget is up to $500, but obviously less is better.

I don't really understand what the difference is between "faux 5.1" and true 5.1 sound. How is 5.1 received? Do only special sources offer 5.1, such as Blu-ray? Would VLC with a .mkv file provide true 5.1?

Should I consider a system with a soundbar, or one with many speakers? What's the difference? Is there a noticeable quality or price difference between wired and wireless or Bluetooth?

Do I need a sound card, such as this? Does the quality of the sound card affect much?

Do I need a receiver, such as this, to hook the system to? I honestly have no idea what this even does. How do I connect the speakers to the PC?

I was considering a set like this or this . What are some better recommendations?

Explanations, links to threads, and links to possible solutions are largely appreciated. Thank you for your help.

skaarsgard

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
The quick and easy answer to "faux 5.1 vs. true 5.1" is aside from the digital processing done (where and how) true 5.1 surround sound will have 5 surround speakers and 1 subwoofer. for home theaters this is much easier accomplished by having the rear satellites by the couch but for desk usage, had always been difficult for users due to space, wiring and stands needed behind the chair.

google search: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee233/Xope_Poquar/Desk/14.jpg

faux is often simulated via digital processing through 2 speakers to give an illusion of being surrounded by speakers (which they can actually somewhat produce fairly well for gaming environments). often, gaming headsets market their products with 5.1 or 7.1 surround but once you remove the ear cups you'll see only one speaker per ear.