HP Pavilion - Windows 10 CTRL Key problem

Salvatore Simone_1

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I have a HP Pavilion 15-e070sa running Windows 10/64-bit and the keyboard is presenting a very weird issue.
When pressing characters 'T' 'Y' '[' ']' and Num Lock I can see on the On-Screen Keyboard that both CTRL keys are locked, disabling any possible normal function of the keyboard.
However, the only way to unlock the CTRL keys is by pressing the CTRL key with an external keyboard; and this issue also appears if using an external keyboard although not by pressing specific keys.

After attempting many different ways to fix this issue such as:
-Running the Troubleshooting,
-Restoring the system to 1 week ago
-Disable all Sticky Keys and Toggle Keys and Filter Keys
-Restarting Windows completely and deleting all the applications
-Uninstalling the keyboard's driver and rebooting the system
-Changing the Keyboard layout
-Running the sfc /scannow & Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in admin cmd prompts
-Editing the startvalue in the registry editor following HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt,,

and consulting other technicians we have all agree that is an issue with the drivers, however I cannot find any support in the HP Support Centre and cannot really update the keyboard drivers.

Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Driver Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Hopefully if you people have any other suggestions I am more than happy to take test them to solve this really annoying glitch that completely disables the normal operations of the laptop. Thank you!

Solution
You turned on sticky keys. Either disable it in the accessibility section of the control panel/ settings app or press the ctrl key five times in rapid succession.