SOUND NOT WORKING, then just one speaker started working

jonwillard

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2015
SOUND NOT WORKING, then just one speaker started working after messing around with drivers.

SPECS: New Windows 10 Home, Asus z97eu31 Mobo
AUDIO: Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys (6.0.1.7503, 4.26 MB (4,467,928 bytes), 12/23/2015 1:51 AM) downloaded from https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97E/HelpDesk_Download/

Speakers work great when plugged into my phone and when I boot Live Linux Fedora. I've installed/resintalled/update the drivers many time, was on the phone with MS and ASUS but no resolution. I did get back to one speaker working so that is better than none, not sure how.

Also note that the "Sound, Playback Devices, Speakers, Configure Speakers" test WILL play some tones but youtube videos have been dead to me until I somehow got back to left speaker working. I've tried 'Line Out', 'Rear' and 'Side' jacks.

Ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
The issue is with the audio drivers for Windows 10 and the issue is persistent regardless of downloading from Realtek's sit or from Asus's site. You could try installing your drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 7/8 but I don't think that will give you a satisfactory output or one without the muffled audio.

Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7/8 [from drop down menu]

To be on the safe side, update your BIOS to the latest available>Version 0601