3d modeling/animation with CS degree

jballew7

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Hi, I have a passion for 3d modeling/animation/game design, art in general. I know that I want to work in one of these feilds. I'm currently enrolled in a computer science program. Question is, with a degree in this would I be able to land a job in these more art oriented feilds? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy programming and want this degree but I'm more art focused. I have a wealth of 3d experience already. Also I know these types of jobs may look more at results rather then what's on a resume. And, comp sci is the only computer related program anywhere near me.

Solution
It will depend on the type of company you're looking to join.

Larger organizations are typically (stupidly) very hyper-specific on what they're looking for, and not meeting their specs often keeps you from even getting the interview (even if you could nail it if you were in front of them).

Looking to a smaller outfit to get your foot in the door will probably yield more success, but will still need a key to unlock the door.

I suggest (to about everyone) to start your own business to help with that. Costs to create a company on paper are extremely minimal, and experience in going through the exercise of setting up a business is something small businesses are looking for.....always.

This allows you to have the option of selling your...

Geekwad

Admirable
It will depend on the type of company you're looking to join.

Larger organizations are typically (stupidly) very hyper-specific on what they're looking for, and not meeting their specs often keeps you from even getting the interview (even if you could nail it if you were in front of them).

Looking to a smaller outfit to get your foot in the door will probably yield more success, but will still need a key to unlock the door.

I suggest (to about everyone) to start your own business to help with that. Costs to create a company on paper are extremely minimal, and experience in going through the exercise of setting up a business is something small businesses are looking for.....always.

This allows you to have the option of selling your services too, rather than relying on a 'hire' all the time, as you develop your person portfolio.

Solution