Best High End WiFi Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baypros

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
QUESTION
What is the best WiFi router for 4k PC gaming and 4k video streaming?
*We are talking high-end here. Money is no factor here.

BACKGROUND
I currently have a Linksys WRT 1900AC wireless router.
This router is good, but I have a disease, like most of us here: I have to have the best of the best all the time.
So I am looking to upgrade so I can get the best performance for 4k gaming and 4k video streaming.

DETAILS
4 Heavy Users with mobile devices.
4k Gaming.
HD video streaming to multiple mobile devices.
4,0000 sqft. house.

POSSIBLE OPTIONS
Netgear Nighthawk (R8500 or R 8000)
Asus RT-AC5300
D-Link AC5300
Linksys AC3200

*The house is wired with CAT5, but all networking will go through this router.
I appreciate all the help on this.

RealBeast

Titan
Great recent test article HERE.

Short story: save your money. "If you're looking for significant gains in 5 GHz performance, ain't none of the newer routers that will likely do much better than the AC1900 router you already own."

Not to mention that adapters have not kept pace, so for other that point to point media bridges (that are not really much better), you are simply purchasing e-peen.

Improve your AP set up and optimization, run everything that you can on gigabit Ethernet, and if you are a total maniac (like me) use 10 Gbps Ethernet adapters on a separate network between your NAS device and primary machine and if you have loads of spare cash buy a 10Gbps switch in your office for local transfers.

I simply used a 10Gbps adapter in two machines with a CAT 6e cable connect so I could upload junk to my 30TB (using 8TB HGST Helium drives) NAS faster from my main machine. I totally lied to my wife about that project. :D

Now, if I wanted to spend some extra money, I would consider upgrading my wireless to multiple Cisco AC access points with a controller set up for zero latency hand offs. A bit over the top for most users, but it would definitely impress those few that understood what happens beyond their little devices.

Jeff Bollinger

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I would say to consider the enterprise business side of things. I would recommend a separate router and wifi access point. If money is no factor I would buy the following. It is all better than any consumer grade networking stuff.

Ubiquiti Edge Router X SFP ER-X-SFP

This router is better than any consumer product and has 5 PoE ports so you could power multiple access points if needed for your large sq footage

For the access point I would get UAP‑AC‑PRO Ubiquiti UniFi AC Access Point - 802.11ac 3x3 MIMO

The APs are very nice and you can get more than 1 to provide good coverage.

for the router and 1 ap it would be ~ 229.98 or for router and 2 AP it would be ~379.97

Baypros

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
If I were to go commercial grade I would probably go with the Cisco Meraki line.
Maybe an MR34 AP. They are pretty awesome.

I moved from Rukus to Meraki a while ago and never looked back.

Jeff Bollinger

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

I guess money really is no problem. I couldn't imagine spending ~1,500 on 1- AP for my house but I am sure it could do 4k and gaming

Lord_Vanski

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
I just purchased the second highest end WiFi router known to man called "TP-Link Archer AC5400" which I thought this was overkill for my home use but like you, I too have a disease as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.