BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure consistently caused by Photoshop...

eolai

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

So I'm working on a brand new Dell laptop, and I've been working with Adobe Illustrator & Bridge CS6 and Photoshop CC almost every day for the last week and a bit (got it December 12th, 2015). Everything's been fine up until yesterday, when the BSOD hit me suddenly while trying to save a file in Photoshop. Since that initial crash I can't even have Photoshop open for more than a few moments without the same thing happening. Each time it's a Kernel Security Check Failure.

I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, I ran chkdsk, updated my drivers, did a full system virus scan in McAfee, and even tried uninstalling all Adobe programs, running Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool, and reinstalling from scratch. The moment I get Photoshop up and running again the same thing happens.

Google brought me here, and failed to deliver any other answers, so I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to take a look at my minidump files and let me know what might be causing the problem. Photoshop is essential for some important work I'm trying to get through by the end of the year, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Minidump files here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15zJoDcuvNaVUNzMUNTWDZ3MGs/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

eolai

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion viveknayyar. Restoring to an earlier point worked at first, but broke a few other programs that I'd installed somewhere between point A and point B. I wound up completely resetting Windows and wiping all my data, and then uninstalled all Dell software from a fresh state, based on somebody else's suggestion that it was a Dell driver causing the problem. That didn't work, I was still getting the BSOD.

Thankfully, this solution over at TenForums.com (from users rambomhtri and MaxCasey) did the trick:

Try to force Windows to run Photoshop with your integrated GPU. Probably, Photoshop is being run by Intel's HD graphics. Try to use your nVIDIA/AMD gpu through their control panels.

1. Right click on the Photoshop shortcut and click on "Run with graphics processor" and then "Change default graphics processor..."

2. When NVIDIA Control Panel opens Adobe Photoshop should already be selected in the program settings. Where it says "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program:" Change it to High-performance NVIDIA processor and click Apply down the bottom.

After that I haven't had a problem or the BSOD Kernel error :)

Worked like a charm! No more BSOD.

vjmeena

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

vjmeena

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I restored my windows to an earlier version and also tried to run by right clicking run with graphic processor, but it didn't solved the problem. Can anyone suggest me something else?
e-mail: plannervm@gmail.com

ccwriter1

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Rolling back the driver for my graphics card was the only thing that worked for me. Rolled back GeForce Nvidia GTX 970 driver version 361.43 (release date 21.12.15) to driver version 359.06 (release date 01.12.15). Machine stable, Photoshop opening and running! Happy :)

Onur__

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Hi ,

I have the same issue but i could not solve my problem

1) How can i roll back to old version of graphic card?
2) Is it possible to run photoshop with GPU ? When i right-click i can not see his option.
3) When i open the Ndivia Control Panel , There is only 3D settings on the left side. Is it normal ?

ccwriter1

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Hi Onur,
My OS is Windows 8.1 so here's how to roll back your driver on 8.1:
1) --> Control Panel --> Device Manager --> Display Adapters
2) Right click your graphics card (if you have two, choose the NVIDIA) --> Properties
3) In the Properties box choose the Driver tab
4) 3rd option box down is Roll Back Driver, select that and your PC will roll back to your previous driver version. the rolled-back version should be the one that WASN'T causing you any issues with Photoshop.

You don't need to do anything in the control panel of your NVIDIA settings. Rolling back the driver should do the trick. Worked perfectly on my machine and Photoshop is now completely stable and functioning normally. Hope this sorts out your issue :)