4k isn't good enough I want 8k gaming. When will the industry hit 8k? Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filmman3000

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
I know this sounds crazy but 4k i not the be all end all of resolutions.. Anyone think we will see 8k gaming in the next 6 years? 8k TV's exist. Cameras now shoot in 8k. Are we going to be going all VR?

I'm curious what people feel the future holds?

Discussion??

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Today's gamers prefer 2k 144hz over 4k 60hz for a few reasons such as motion clarity, higher minimum and average frames per second and of course being able to run higher settings within the games graphic settings. This trend of higher hz>higher resolution should continue over the years .

That being said 6 years is a long time away and there are always folks willing to buy 2-4 of the best gpus so in the super high end I say why not if you have the cash.

Most of my gaming friends are not interested in VR.

I don't think 8K holds a lot of appeal right now.

8K is a lot of resolution for even a 30" monitor. The mainstream segment is going to want a monitor that sits on a regular desk; not everyone has computers connected to TVs, or large monitors mounted on walls.

I think you'll agree that the general physical size of a monitor has increased. Old monitors were good enough as 15" when they were CRT or old TFT. Then I first came across a 18.5" monitor in 2008, and now, in 2015, I got a monitor that was 22". I'm saying all this because I'm a mainstream customer and mainstream is what drives business. And I don't envision the size of a mainstream monitor becoming too big - an average user will want a monitor that he can easily look at from say 2 feet away and can read all text shown comfortably.

8K monitors may come, but they could take a long time: graphics cards of today aren't really capable of driving 4K displays; 4K 60FPS is hard to hit at good graphics settings on current games on any single GPU.

PTOWN GAMER

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
i would hate VR, VR is fun but only for a short period of time. Just like there was all hype for 3d TVs, but the trend faded, and people still like normal TVs. 8k would be good, but all out VR would be Crap, I dont like it personally, its good, but not alll the time. I think if we go VR we should have an option whether we want to play the game VR or Normal like we do now :)

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

curved 8k would be awesome, and IMO is where things should head

as it stands current gpu power cant even handle 4k well

years for 8k still

a_en

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
From the trend, how much GPU will scale each year, i do say another 5 or more years for 8K gaming with Graphic quality same as today. If you add in Game engine upgrade that keep heavier each year.. i do say another 10 year or so ........
Heck! even 4k Gaming on 5 more years might be a nice market, you don't want render quality stuck like our current gen right?

Filmman3000

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I agree with you that the Mainstream business is what is important . I would bet that in 8 years 1440p will be the minimum and 4k 144hz will be the standard. I don't think any higher resolution will be needed for monitors smaller then say 23" but look at our phones. Some phones sport a 4k screen. Imagine that pixel density spread over a 30-40" screen. I'm not saying it will be necessary but I think we will be soon getting to a point where frame size won't be so important because our eyes wont be able to tell the difference. I would say though that 8k Monitors will be standard and I agree it will be a ways out. 8k 144hz.. at least 10-15 years. I'm really interested in what the next major Microprocessor tech will hold. Sometimes I feel like my set of 980tis are just the end of an era.. I mean really a personal computer pulling 700watts from the wall?? Seems a little much. I think humanity can do better and I look forward to the next 10-20 years I think it's going to be amazing!

Whatever it turns out to be, resolutions such as 8K certainly won't be infeasible.
I hear the next generation of Nvidia GPUs(i.e. Pascal) will have 32GB of VRAM in their flagship cards.

Of course, if that ends up happening, it'll be the Pascal Titan, lower end cards won't have that much VRAM.

Filmman3000

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I Really look forward to the Next Gen Cards. I feel like they will last a lot longer then the current series. 4k gaming is really awesome. once you go 4k its tough to go back. I play Witcher 3 in 4k ultra at 60fps and half of the experience for me is the environment. As a Cinematographer seeing this level of detail go into games is very exciting. The lighting effects during sunset mimic real world results. 4k helps take you out of that cartoony video game feel and adds a ton of realism. I game on a 40" Philips monitor and a 65" 4k TV and the step up is night and day. I would love to see what 8k would add to the realism. I still see jaggies on 4k at 40". 8k would be totally immersive.. :) anyway its just a lot of fun either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.