Adding Dual Channel Memory with already Triple Channel installed.

LostInMoscow

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
I built my PC years ago by now, and haven't really replace anything since then other than a hard drive upgrade.

MB: gigabyte G1.Assassin (rev. 1.0)
Proc: i7 960 @ 3.20GHz
Memory: Kingston KHX2000C9AD3T1K3/6GB
VC: Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6
All tucked away nicely in a Silverstone RV02 case.

Now 6gb is starting to be too few for some of the newer games. At first I figured I'd just buy another set of 3x2 Kingston but to no avail, they are no longer readily available in my city and by the looks of it, triple channel memory is now way way too expensive and hard to come by in general.

So I've found Kingston HX313C9FBK2/8 and it's to my best understanding that my MB can work with dual channel. But it's a shame having to remove 6gb of good memory to add 8gb.

Which finally leads me to my question. Can I add the new 8gb on top of the already 6gb? Can they be mixed?

Thank you in advance for your input!

IMG_02592.jpg

LostInMoscow

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Due to the price difference and supply, triple channel 12gb starts around 200USD locally while that 8gb is everywhere and only 56USD. I'd opt for dual channel if I can't mix it. It seems triple channel mode is available only on the Intel socket 1366. So quite pointless since 1366 socket MB's are as rare now also here, and when my current setup does fail, I highly doubt I will continue using the 1366 socket but move on to something newer.

There are 6 memory slots, 3 of which are used currently, leaving 3 free. According to the specifics of the MB, its 3/Dual channel memory architecture. So in the end, there would be 5 out of the 6 memory slots taken if it is possible to mix. Which would be good too since I'd have to remove the lower fan on the heat sink to fit 3 more memory sticks.

While dual channel is an option, the problem will be trying to find identical RAM sticks. Mixing RAM may cause compatibly problems. However, if you are seriously short on RAM, then even running in single channel would be less of a performance hit than not having enough.

LostInMoscow

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
mhm. I checked the bios, currently the memory is running at 1066MHz and assuming it always has since all the settings set to auto. I've never touched anything in the bios, nor plan to tinker with overclocking n all.
I'm assume it would auto set the MHz for the dual channel memory to match the triple channel or vise versa. Or could it be a problem that one set of memory is 256M x 64-Bit and the other is 512M x 64-Bit?

Worse case scenario, what can happen if I mix? Memory burns out? Motherboard overloads? It grows legs and starts killing all living beings?

LostInMoscow

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Yea wouldn't boot :p

Well 8gb works fine on its own, and can always get another 2x4 later if needed xD

Cheers for your help BadActor!