PC stuck on continuous bios loop

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
So I decided to reset my computer due to some issues I was having. During the process it got stuck on 66% and then after I while it tells me that there is a problem and it couldn't complete the reset process. Now every time I try to boot up my PC it goes of a continuous loop of showing me the Republic of gamers logo and then the screen goes black and vice versa. Is there any solution around this?
PC specs- GPU: Asus AMD R9 270x
Processor- Intel i5 4690k
Motherboard-Asus Maximus VII Ranger
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
SSD: Kingston SATA

Solution
Safe Mode in Win 10, is reached through the Recovery Setting.

You can get there by holding down the Shift key while restarting.

That gets you to the Recovery page. then click Troubleshoot, Advanced, Restart, F4. When
your PC restarts it will eventually get to Safe Mode.

It's another MS invention that makes you hit 6 keys instead of 2.

Bill

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

My PC was getting the blue screen of death and crashing when I was playing games so I thought a reset of my PC may have done the job.

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
The BSOD might of had more information as to what lead to the blue screen. I don't suppose if you remember what kind of error it displayed? Perhaps a file name or a brief description on what it said?

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

It said CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I should of asked this before but could you also give us your full system specs? Be sure edit your original post so others may see it. Please also give us which version of Windows you have.

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

PC specs- GPU: Asus AMD R9 270x
Processor- Intel i5 4690k
Motherboard-Asus Maximus VII Ranger
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
SSD: Kingston SATA
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
A few things you might be able to do (without any particular order):

-Are you able to boot into your bios without any problems (DEL Key to enter bios)?
-See if you can restore your BIOS to default settings if you can.
-Have you tried to boot into safe mode in Windows 10?
-The black screen sounds like a video card driver problem, see if you can swap your GPU for another, if you don't have another at hand you can always use your integrated GPU that is found in your CPU. (Remove your current video card and plug in whatever display plug you use into your motherboard IO port.)
-Create a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu installed onto it and boot off the USB drive by going into your bios and setting your USB as the first boot priority. If your computer is still unable to boot then you might have a hardware problem somewhere.
-Another possible solution is to do a full clean install of Windows 10. I've said this before on another thread. Whenever you upgrade from a previous OS (especially if the previous OS install is old and boggled up with data or was infected with a previous malware. Start fresh and clean and see what happens. Keep us updated.)

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

How would I go about booting into safe mode?

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
I know that in Windows 7 (and maybe even Win8) you can get into safe mode by mashing on the F8 key (the second you hit the power button), keep mashing on it and see if that works. Unfortunately I'm not sure if this will work in Windows 10. Give it a shot and see what happens. I have tried googling searching on how to boot into safe mode in Windows 10 without any success for your situation since you can't even boot into Windows. I hope others may know how to do that here.

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
After doing further research, getting into safe mode in Windows 10 won't be easy. The best way to do this is to download a complete copy of Windows 10 onto a USB stick by using the media creation tool that is available on MS website. Just google search it. Or click here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After you do that click on the following link below to try and get into safe mode. Just follow these instructions and you should be able to get into safe mode.

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/

Here's one right here if you prefer a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niGzZaSdRQo

I hope this helps, update us if your able to go into safe mode, good luck!

SkylineHD

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Mashing F8 on Windows 10 appears to ask me what drive I want to boot with

aolish

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2012
That sounds like the boot manager, that's a good thing. Lets forget about Safe mode and try and see if you can boot with another OS. I recommend to create a bootable Ubuntu USB drive. When you are finished creating the USB drive that has Ubuntu on it, stick it into one of your USB ports, mash on the F8 key and boot off of the USB stick. If your able to use Ubuntu just fine then chances are you might only have a corrupted Windows install which you can easily just reinstall by creating a Windows 10 bootable USB stick instead of a bootable ubuntu stick. Let me know how things go, if you have trouble making a bootable stick you can follow the link below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Safe Mode in Win 10, is reached through the Recovery Setting.

You can get there by holding down the Shift key while restarting.

That gets you to the Recovery page. then click Troubleshoot, Advanced, Restart, F4. When
your PC restarts it will eventually get to Safe Mode.

It's another MS invention that makes you hit 6 keys instead of 2.

Bill

Solution