Designing home network (wired and wireless) on two floors. Help needed.

SibCon

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
Merry Christmas!
I'm trying to design a wired / wireless network for my house, and could use some help.
I've met with a local installer to briefly talk about the design, but I have certain doubts about what I was told, so I would like to validate my doubts or confirm otherwise.
Also, please let me know what should be changed in proposed design.

The house:
- Basement (LL)
- 1st floor (1F)
- 2nd floor (2F)

The need:
- wired connection to Smart TV on 1F
- wired connections to two desktops located in same room on 2F
- wireless access point on 1F to connect iPads, phones, etc. (same location as Smart TV)
- wireless access point on 2F to connect iPads, phones, etc. (same location as two desktops)

With all above, below is what the local installer told me I should do:
- cable outlet in the LL
- cable modem in the LL
[strike] - switch hooked to the cable modem[/strike] (original post)
- router connected to the cable modem in the LL (edited)
- switch connected to the router in the LL (edited)
- 3 wires running from the switch to 2F to the room with two desktops to connect 1) desktop #1, 2) desktop #2, and 3) wireless access point
- 2 wires running from the switch to 1F to connect Smart TV and wireless access point.

When we met, I asked him if I could just run 2 wires, instead of 5, from the basement, and have a switch on each floor, but he told me that I could not have more than one switch, which would be why I must have a switch in the basement with individual cables running to each computer / WAP.

I might be wrong and I can't have a switch on each floor, but given that they would charge me flat per location fee, I am little skeptical about this setup. :) Not that I normally don't trust people, but I see the incentive for them to suggest something that will cost at least 2.5 times more (and it might be perfectly fine working solution), when I could get away with different design.

Any help would be great! Let me know if I could add any details.

Thank you very much!

The cable modem would actually have to be a router since you can not hook a switch directly to modem since the ISP only gives you 1 ip.

So you do

In the lower level you put in your modem/router. It should have 4 lan ports since it has a small switch built in.

You then run a single wire to each of the other floors. You would run a AP or a router running as a AP on each floor to provide ethernet and wireless. These device generally also have 4 ports. If you run out of ports you can add a switch

You technically can have as many switches as you want but there likely is some kind of limitation if you were going to put in 1000 or something.

SibCon

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Thank you for the reply! So, I don't even need a switch in the basement, possibly at all, since each floor will get a AP, which will most likely have 4 ports for hard wired connections?

And yes, you're absolutely right about the router. I will change the original post to correct.

Thank you again!