Need advice on upgrading current build (CPU, Motherboard, Ram)

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Current build:

Board = Gigabyte p67a-ud3-b3
CPU = Intel Core i5 2500k (OC 4,4 ghz)
CPU Cooler = Noctua NH-D15
GPU = MSI GTX 970
Ram = G.skill 8 gb DDR3 (800 mhz)
SSD = Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb (with OS)
SSD = Samsung 850 EVO 500 gb
OS = Windows 10 Pro
PSU = Corsair TX650

I was thinking about upgrading the CPU, Motherboard and Ram?
Something in the lines of - i5 6600k, a Asus Z170-A board and some DDR4 Ram.
Any help and advice would be much appreciated? Max budget is about 600 usd.

I am fairly new at this forum, and at building/OC systems, so bear with me if any info is missing and such.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
honestly i don't think the 6600k is a worthy upgrade as they don't clock very well. if you're lucky you might be able to clock the 6600 to around what you have now. Then you're looking at the ipc increase that is probably somewhere around 15 percent, 20 tops in certain situations.

Are your apps or games not running well?

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
1st and 3rd person games are running okay at medium/high settings, though I would love to up the settings in my games (having a bit of trouble running games like Empire: Total War, and the likes) and it happens that fps will drop a bit, or the CPU will max out, in certain other games - but most of the time though, everything runs okay.

Mainly I am just looking to getting some new hardware (some of this build is getting a bit old) of course within reason. Would you have any suggestions on how I could upgrade? If not thinking 6600k and such. Maybe I could do something else.

Edit: I could increase the max budget a bit, if needed, but something around 800 usd would be perfect.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The 4790k clocks higher than the 6600 as a rule, so that beats out the 6600k's 5 percent IPC advantage. You can probably clock it to 4.7 without too much trouble with that nh d15. i have mine at 4.9 with a cryorig r1 wich has a roughly the same cooling abilities as your cooler. My chip is a little better than averaged, but with the d15, 4.7-4.8 is very realistic. That would net you 300 to 400 mhz over the 2500k, plus 15 percent IPC, plus hyper threading.

If you have a micro center near by you can pick some stuff up pretty cheap. Or if you're thrifty like me, buy the parts used from someone with great feedback and enjoy a cheap upgrade. You can also sell your old parts after to lessen the blow.

so maybe a z97 board, with a 4790k, and a 16gb kit of 1866. that should last you a long time.

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
That does look like a worthy upgrade. well I guess I just have to spend a little more then first intended, and selling my old parts afterwards will surely help lessen the blow. Do you have any suggestions on which ram I should look into? In terms of brand?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
It shouldn't be all that bad, you can pick up a nice set of G.skill ram for around 70 bucks new. Or I would recommend buying them used as they usually carry a lifetime warranty. Crucial Has some great ram also, I have some Ballistix Elite 1866 that does 2133 very easily(with a smallish voltage bump) and should be lifetime as well.

I personally would buy all this stuff used from a very very good ebayer. all the parts you're looking for have no moving parts, and most people don't overclock. Even used they should last far longer than you want. just my 2 cents

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I will definitely look into that. Many thanks for your advice. Though, I were hope for a good motherboard which could run DDR4 ram? Or would it be pointless to upgrade from DDR3 to DDR4? And of course be OC friendly. Again, I am new to this, so bear with me if I lack knowledge in this area.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
well the question is... do you want to save your system for the ddr4? Right now is a tough time to build a system thoughtfully. It's pretty much like you need to wait a a half year or more to wait for future releases. I say this because drr4 isn't yet majored and the current intel ddr4 platforms are lack-luster compared to the z97 set ups

Raas187

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Yeah.. I must admit most of those I have asked for advice, have said there were no need for me to upgrade, that it would be pointless at the moment. And that I should stick with my current setup - maybe go for a extra GTX 970. Or even upgrading to a relativ expensive GFX. Maybe I should wait, as you also mention.

TRENDING THREADS