Windows 10 ELAN touchpad drive refuses to single finger scroll, will only two finger scroll, manually updating not working

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Long story short, got an "oldie" but a goodie Samsung 830 128gb SSD for my Samsung Series 3 laptop (circa late 2011) that sports the first gen AMD A8 Llano 3510mx quadcore cpu, an upgraded 8gb ram, HD 6620g gpu, and clean installed Windows 10.

All went well and good...pc is speedy and nippy browsing, except the ELAN touchpad driver will ONLY two finger scroll. I had to google and edit the registry to make the drag and drop box release immediately after letting go instead of sitting there highlighted a second or so. There is no option at ALL for one finger scroll like I could do fine in Windows 8/8.1 on the laptop.

Did a little bit of googling and some said to download the old ELAN driver from 7-28-2015 from microsoft's site via Internet explorer and extract it to its own folder and manually update the driver from Device Manager, it updates, but installs the WRONG driver from 9-3-2015.

I don't understand how it's putting a new driver when the one downloaded is older....so that's where I'm stuck at right now. I've restarted after every time like it tells me to and it won't work, rolled back to the default MS 2006 driver to no avail.

The Samsung product page for my laptop hasn't been updated since 2012 right when Windows 8 came out pretty much....so all the cookie cutter responses on google of "just go to the manufacture's website for the new drivers!!!" don't apply in this case.

topic I found online, which described going to the microsoft site via internet explorer and getting the 15.6.2.1 driver from back in the summer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/elan-smart-pad-settings-gone-after-windows-10/00d9feb1-c15c-4dc8-be3e-01490ddb45d4?auth=1

the Elan software should look like this but it doesn't for me https://imgur.com/KdlQkSk

it ALWAYS installs the 15.7.0.1 driver from 9-3-2015 for some reason....

thx for any help with this very frustrating problem, I honestly dunno what to do....it was hard enough finding a useful topic on google

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
I ended up going back to windows 8.1 where the windows 7 driver from the samsung website for my laptop's touchpad works fine, the term they use is called "edge scroll" which is the traditional side single finger scrolling.

Shame, I liked how windows 10 looked and it was pretty speedy in its performance too, but the touchpad issue was a killer.

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I took single scroll literally. For Edge Scroll, go to the Control Panel, Mouse, ELAN, Options.

EdgeScroll is not enabled by default, you must click on the check box.

As far as OS's are concerned Win 10 is far superior to 8.1 and almost as good as 7. In 6 months to a year 10 will be fine. Pre 7 OS's were the best.

Bill