omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hi all, hope you had a good Christmas. I'm currently running a rig with:

P8P67 motherboard
Intel i5 2500k cpu
Asus Radeon R9 290X card
HyperX 8gb 1866Hz DDR3 RAM

I've had it for 4 years and until around a year ago the cpu was over clocked. Recently, I've been having heating issues. When I enter BIOS the cpu temperature would rise to 88C within a minute and cause an auto shutdown. I downloaded CoreTemp on the desktop and it read temperatures of around 35C on all 4 cores, spiking sometimes at 60C when idle.

I gave the case interior a good cleaning, checked the fans and liquid cooler were still working (can feel vibrations with my hand) and removed the cpu briefly then popped it back in. The thermal paste is practically worn clean (ordered some, going to clean it good then apply new paste). I went into BIOS and reset to default, thinking maybe over clocking hadn't been turned off. Just to make sure.

Right now, cpu temperatures are reading 90C at idle, both in BIOS and in CoreTemp. Even more baffling, auto shutdown isn't kicking in at all, so I have to shut down manually.

I'm no expert but have narrowed it down to the BIOS, the cpu being ready to go, or a faulty temperature sensor on the motherboard.

Any ideas?

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
did u solve your issue?
its already over half year ... i just read this because i am getting overheat issue similar like yours
but in mycase it seems faulty liquid cooler pump, one tube hot, while other one cold... still waiting the rma unit

in most cases if cooler work properly it wont overheat the cpu
did u check ur cooler(tube/radiator)? if it working it should hot when u touch it