Windows 10: A laundry list of issues

Ebonwolf

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
After the latest update to Windows 10, which was upgraded from a legal version of Windows 7 after cloning to a new SSD, a large amount of seemingly unrelated issues popped up all at once. I had been running Windows 10 hassle free for at least a month until this happened. While trying to remedy some, I encountered more. I will try to be as clear and concise about each issue and what seems to trigger it in the list below.

1. Ctrl+Alt+Del: Takes me to a black screen with a cursor which requires a hard reboot to get out of. I can only reach the Task Manager by right clicking on the task bar.

2. Cortana: When typing in "System Restore" in the search bar, I get the "Reset This PC" option. When clicking on this option nothing happens, except the Start button and Notification icons become unresponsive. Only a hard reboot will restore these functions.

3. Steam: Will not launch, just hangs at "Connecting to account" mini window.

4. All games connected to Steam: No game in my Steam library can be launched, not even by their standalone launchers.

5. Nexus Mod Manager: Anyone familiar with modding video games may be familiar with this program. Upon launching, it brings up the program splash logo as it checks for updates, which goes away after a couple seconds, but will not open the window. It is running according to the task manager, but cannot be accessed.

6.Tiles: Only tiles associated with the file explorer will open, and only after several seconds. All other tiles in the Start menu are unresponsive. In fact, clicking one of these tiles triggered an infinite spinning blue circle associated with the PC opening something. It actually prevented me from typing the rest of this post after number 5 and required a restart.

7. Google Chrome: Chrome opens to a totally blank, white window.

8. Autodesk Software: 3DS Max and Mudbox 2013 both hang at the license authorization mini window and never fully open, nor fully shut down when ended in the task manager. The splash screens will persist on the desktop until a restart.

9. Kaspersky Safe Money: When using Safe Money, which opens a protected browser for online transactions, it will open to the site login screen, but the windows cannot be interacted with in any way, no buttons, no menus, and cannot be closed except by killing it in the task manager.

There are probably more issues that I have yet to discover, but the ones I've encountered so far have essentially crippled my PC, as I can only use it for internet in a single browser, word processing and photoshop.

Individually these problems might have their own root causes and could probably be remedied fairly easily. However, the fact that they ALL started on the same day after a mandatory update from Microsoft leads me to believe they are related to the update. Since no restore points have been created since installing 10, and I can't find a way to roll back updates, I've no way to test this.

I apologize for the long post, but thanks for reading if you made it this far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
It's a good thing that you put as much information in your opening post as possible to help with us providing a solution(s). We would be better served if you passed on your full systems specs as well.

It looks like your installation of Windows 10 has been corrupted either from the update or the installer was corrupt to begin with but I'm leaning towards this:
the fact that they ALL started on the same day after a mandatory update from Microsoft.

Try and perform a sfc / scannow or a system restore to a point prior to seeing the issue/update. Likewise you can try and perform a repair install of your OS with your updates in place.

Lutfij

Titan
It's a good thing that you put as much information in your opening post as possible to help with us providing a solution(s). We would be better served if you passed on your full systems specs as well.

It looks like your installation of Windows 10 has been corrupted either from the update or the installer was corrupt to begin with but I'm leaning towards this:
the fact that they ALL started on the same day after a mandatory update from Microsoft.

Try and perform a sfc / scannow or a system restore to a point prior to seeing the issue/update. Likewise you can try and perform a repair install of your OS with your updates in place.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS