Bought a SanDisk SSD and failing to install windows 10 on it

Lexemic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
I turned my computer off during an update a few weeks ago and it stopped working. No Post and couldn't enter BIOS and after some troubleshooting we figured out the hard drive was fried.

Bought a SanDisk SSD and replaced the old hard drive in my laptop (Alienware 17) and tried to install windows with an ISO on usb.

After countless attempts, it always returns "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

I've tried different suggestions on secure boot/legacy mode settings and changing, deleting, formatting all the partitions with and without command prompt to clean disk and create primary partitions and all other combinations of partitions.

Even after trying everything I could find on Google I'm still stumped.

I'm hoping someone here can be a hero and give me a solution.

Thank you!

Solution
have you checked sata config in the bios ... reset the bios to defaults and consider a bios update .... also ensure you have ACHI enabled in the bios ( after reset ) ...... also ensure you using a genuine windows disk ( copys have loads of installation errors ) and finally clean the disk !

Lexemic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015

Not sure how I'd be able to check. When I enter BIOS all of the hardware registers and is listed as working which seems to indicate a healthy motherboard/everything else, doesn't it?

brianthesnail

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
have you checked sata config in the bios ... reset the bios to defaults and consider a bios update .... also ensure you have ACHI enabled in the bios ( after reset ) ...... also ensure you using a genuine windows disk ( copys have loads of installation errors ) and finally clean the disk !

Solution