Installed Windows on my SSD, but when I boot from it, it won't recognize my HDD.

Wyatt Earp

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Follow up on my previous thread.
I managed to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto my SSD, and was able to boot into the OS from the SSD. However, I still have my HDD with all of my files.

When I try to browse to that drive I cannot find it. Not in device manager, disk manager, anything. I am able to change the boot device in the BIOS to my HDD and I can still boot into the OS installed there. AND it recognizes my SSD and everything installed on it (Windows 10).

How can I get the PC to use the SSD to boot, and use the HDD as storage?

Solution
Unplug your HDD and have only your SSD while you attempt to install Windows 10. Speaking of installation, is the copy of Windows 10 on your HDD a clean install or one availed via the upgrade path? Reinstalling your OS will clear up the issue though it'd be a good platform for you if you downloaded the latest BIOS and drivers from ASRock's product support page here.

Lutfij

Titan
I would recommend that you back up your content from your HDD first by connecting it as your boot drive since you state this
I am able to change the boot device in the BIOS to my HDD and I can still boot into the OS installed there.
and reinstall your copy of windows 10 on your SSD while formatting the installation on your HDD.

It looks like you have two copies of Windows 10 installed onto your devices thus the conflict IMHO. Could you please pass on your full systems specs?

Wyatt Earp

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

Sure thing:

CPU: i7 4790k ~ 4.0
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16gb (1600mhz)
PSU: EVGA 650w 80+ Gold Supernova
MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Lutfij

Titan
Unplug your HDD and have only your SSD while you attempt to install Windows 10. Speaking of installation, is the copy of Windows 10 on your HDD a clean install or one availed via the upgrade path? Reinstalling your OS will clear up the issue though it'd be a good platform for you if you downloaded the latest BIOS and drivers from ASRock's product support page here.

Solution

Wyatt Earp

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

The copy on my HDD is an upgrade from Windows 8.1. I'll check out ASRock's support page.