Upgrading to Windows 10 and need to restructure my storage

Wolf Lahti

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I'm currently running Win 8.1 and want to upgrade to 10.

I have an SSD as my boot drive, but it is getting filled with games, whereas I want the boot drive to contain only the OS and utilities and other system-related stuff. And I want to put in a second SSD for games.

I know that simply copying the game files to the new SSD will likely result in a mess of problems (unfindable resources, et cetera). What I want to end up with is

Boot drive - 250GB SSD
Games - 500GB SSD
Other files - 1TB HDD

What is the best way to proceed?

Solution
From all the games I have played, most will require a "reinstall" - however: If you copy the C:\Program Files (x86?)\(Game folder) to the new drive, and then do a "Custom" install pointing it to the new drive letter and Program Files location, it usually picks up the previous install, and doesn't have to download all the 15-20GB of files. You may loose any special settings, but the install should be faster.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
From all the games I have played, most will require a "reinstall" - however: If you copy the C:\Program Files (x86?)\(Game folder) to the new drive, and then do a "Custom" install pointing it to the new drive letter and Program Files location, it usually picks up the previous install, and doesn't have to download all the 15-20GB of files. You may loose any special settings, but the install should be faster.

Solution