Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0" vs Asus Swift Pg279Q

Poozle

Reputable
May 9, 2015
So I am getting a new monitor as my current setup is way overkill for my 6 year old TN 60hz panel. The first thing I am going to ask, Is an IPS panel worth it? can anyone attest to them truly looking that much better, so much so that I may RMA my monitor 3-4 times? here are the monitor specs anyway. I am getting G sync. That is not optional. the 1300$ ultrawide is not an option either.

Link to Asus
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

Asus panel specs:
165 HZ
IPS
G sync
27 inch
1440p
Nice OSD and built in software
good build quality
SUPER SH*TTY Quality Control LIKE WTF??? It is your top of the line product....
Name brand of course and I am into the look so bonus points to asus...
4ms response time

Dell specs:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=210-AGJR

144Hz
TN panel
G sync
1440p
27 inch
1ms response time
Good build quality
No idea on customer service, but the reviews on amazon are better than Asus Swifts by 1.5 Stars

So it all boils down to this, is the IPS display worth 200$? Is the asus brand worth it? Are the possible RMA issues worth the extra 15 HZ and IPS panel? Backlight bleed and dead pixels are said to be serious issues on this panel. Dell display has very good ratings on youtube (hardwarecanucks uses it for main driver now and says the colors are pretty good.) Ideas?

Current setup is 980ti and x99 I7 5820k OC to 4.7 GHZ and 980ti OC to 1550MHZ core and +350MHZ mem. All of it is water cooled. 32GB of ram as well in my NZXT H440.

Solution

color accuracy and viewing angles aren't the same thing. TN panels, even the best, have a color shift that worsens if you don't look directly at it.

Maybe it's quite acceptable but I can't recommend without seeing and reviewers said it was "great for TN, but still not IPS caliber"

IPS degrade issue?
I've never heard of this. I have a Dell U2711 that is about five years old and it's working the same as when i bought it.

paxiam

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I can attest that the viewing angles on an IPS screen are far better than a TN panel. Also, you get better color accuracy, (white actually looks white, not off white).

Clearly for games, a TN panel is more than adequate.

IPS most definitely.

I can't speak to the quality issues because TN for me is a non-starter. Obviously you want the best quality.

So... I'd say risk the quality or simply WAIT. Frankly there is yet to be a monitor for either FreeSync or GSync that ended up with good enough specs AND also had great quality.

Update:
ACER has a couple monitors worth looking into.

There are a few TN panels that are fairly good (not as good as IPS but close, and probably slightly less motion blur) Like this one:
BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz

Acer IPS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009742&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Poozle

Reputable
May 9, 2015
I did hear the Dell had pretty good color accuracy and that IPS panels in general have a chance to degrade over time causing even more backlight bleed? honestly dont even know if that is true or not.

color accuracy and viewing angles aren't the same thing. TN panels, even the best, have a color shift that worsens if you don't look directly at it.

Maybe it's quite acceptable but I can't recommend without seeing and reviewers said it was "great for TN, but still not IPS caliber"

IPS degrade issue?
I've never heard of this. I have a Dell U2711 that is about five years old and it's working the same as when i bought it.

Solution