PC Audio configuration help - Output system audio/Game audio on different devices simultaneously

Smiggels

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I enjoy figuring problems out on my own however this is the first time in a while where I need to admit defeat. I need help figuring out how to make this configuration work. Thank you ahead of time to anyone able to provide ANY helpful information that result in the task achieved. On a side note, if my thread title should be reworded differently, let me know. It was kinda hard to come up with something short but descriptive enough for my question. XD

Hardware I am working with.

- Windows 7
- x2 PC External speakers
- Headphones
- Microphone
- Onboard sound (Realtek)
- PCI-E Audio card (Asus Xonar DX 7.1)
- (My monitor also has speakers but I have not attempted to add that into the equation at all yet. I am just throwing it out there in case it sparks an idea)

Here is what I am trying to do. I want Teamspeak to broadcast system sounds that are coming from another program. It could really be any program, for example just say I wanted to play a .wav file on my PC. I want teamspeak to hear that .wav file through my PC and broadcast it. That’s the easy part, I can make that happen. I simply run 2 copies of Teamspeak and join the server under 2 names, configure one like normal and the other to broadcast system sounds without a push to talk button.

THE ISSUE – I want to achieve the above without Teamspeak broadcasting what it hears from my game audio and without losing the ability to hear the game audio myself through the speakers AND still be able to speak with my mic.

I think I have found a solution but I do not know how to execute it which leads me to…

…THE QUESTION - Is there a way to force my PC into sending JUST system sounds through my headphones?

My thought is that if I could set up my game to broadcast through the speakers and system sounds through my headphones, I could just make Teamspeak broadcast whatever is being run through my headphones. I’m wondering if this may be possible due to the fact that I have onboard sound and the additional sound card. So maybe I could plug my headphones into the onboard sound and the speakers into the soundcard. I have in fact attempted this but I can’t achieve what I am trying to do. I am wondering if I am simply just not doing the proper configuration settings in the Audio Devices program on the PC. The Audio Devices program has a setting to “listen to a certain device” and that kinda stuff, perhaps there is a configuration I can do with that? I am at a loss; I have messed with it for weeks now!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am having an extremely hard time describing what exactly it is I am trying to do, so here is a quick recap of the goals. If anything doesn’t make sense, please let me know and I will be more than happy to explain in more detail.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I use Teamspeak(TS3) and/or Mumble for voice communication with friends during gaming sessions.
- I want TS3 (or mumble) to broadcast sounds coming from a different program on my PC (Such as .wav files), without my game audio also being broadcasted.
- I want my game audio to continue coming from my speakers.
- I want to continue using my microphone.

Smiggels

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If anyone may have a suggestion as to a better forum or place to post this question I am more than happy to reach out to other places. I am at a loss. :(