another windows 10 migrate question

philliphalljr

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Hello, I am trying to install an SSD (Kingston 120gb SSDNow V300) into an HP DV9000. So the whole background. This was my sister in laws laptop. It originally came with Vista. Something happened while she was at college, she had some "repairs" done and they installed Windows 7. It's a legit copy. This laptop became my Father in laws and he wanted an SSD in it. So here I am. He has so much crap on it that my thought was to upgrade to Windows 10, clone the HDD, install the SSD with the clone on it, then do a clean install of Windows 10. So I was able to upgrade to Win10 on the original HDD. With all of the crap on it, I cannot download any cloning software. I have tried loading it to a USB then using the USB to load the clone software. No go. I loaded the Win10 ISO to DVD, put the SSD in and tried to load the ISO from DVD, but I keep getting OS not Found. I know its not found, I thought booting from DVD and ISO would load it. Where am I going wrong?

Solution
With Windows 10 all of the above is a no go no matter which way you look at it.

Here's how you go about resolving the issue.
1| If what you say is true and that the Windows 7 copy is legit then retain the Licence Key for future use on Windows 10.
2| Install SSD into your laptop
3| Install Windows 7 on it and perform all the updates found in Windows Update until you reach Service Pack 1.
4| Perform the Upgrade to Windows 10 once you've qualified for it.
5| Voila! You are now running Windows 10 on your laptop. Activate it and the next time you perform a clean installation the activation key you previously had will be needed to enter into the space during Widows 10 installation.

The commotion here is that the hardware specs are all bound...

Lutfij

Titan
With Windows 10 all of the above is a no go no matter which way you look at it.

Here's how you go about resolving the issue.
1| If what you say is true and that the Windows 7 copy is legit then retain the Licence Key for future use on Windows 10.
2| Install SSD into your laptop
3| Install Windows 7 on it and perform all the updates found in Windows Update until you reach Service Pack 1.
4| Perform the Upgrade to Windows 10 once you've qualified for it.
5| Voila! You are now running Windows 10 on your laptop. Activate it and the next time you perform a clean installation the activation key you previously had will be needed to enter into the space during Widows 10 installation.

The commotion here is that the hardware specs are all bound onto the motherboard BIOS so any and all hardware changes for those performing Windows 10 installation via the upgrade path need to perform any and/or all hardware changes before the migration to Windows 10. Those with the purchased licence key for Windows 10 will not have to go through this hassle though.

I'd also suggest that you create a bootable USB installer. FYI, don't perform a clone image installation onto another media, it seems to break the OS from the get go and is just more hassle/burden as opposed to a clean install.

I'd also like to add, have you found any BIOS and driver updates off of HP's support site to rule out any compatibility issues? Please pass on the model number if you're having trouble in locating the appropriate drivers/BIOS updates. e.g: this HP DV9000 CTO.

Solution