Can I make a triple monitor setup with these?

YigitS

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
Hello, I currently have a gtx960 as my GPU. And I currently have 2 Dell e2214h monitors and the only connection they have is DVI and VGA. So I've connected one of my monitors with a normal DVI cable and the other one with a DVI to HDMI adapter. So I'm left with 3 DisplayPort outputs on the GPU. And now I want to buy my 3rd monitor and I want to buy the same monitor again so I'll just summarize what I'll do:
Monitor 1 DVI -> GPU DVI
Monitor 2 DVI -> GPU HDMI (With DVI cable and DVI to HDMI adapter)
Monitor 3 DVI -> GPU DisplayPort (With DVI cable and DVI to DisplayPort adapter)
There's a huge price difference between active and passive adapters so what I'm asking is if I buy a passive adapter will it work or not?

YigitS

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

pbm86

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
A passive DP adapter wouldn't work with your DisplayPorts. Your problem is that your graphics cards only has a DVI and an HDMI and you must use a DisplayPort for the third. You have no choice.

YigitS

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014

I hope you're right I've checked so many web sites and non of them had exact info about this thing but I've bought the monitor anyway

YigitS

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I've got my monitor and a cheap dvi to displayport adapter today and it works like a charm. Nothing went wrong so I think this is important for people who's about to make a triple monitor setup for nvidia surround (I guess you need at least 1 displayport for eyefinity). If your monitors don't have the exact same output as your GPU, don't worry it works totally fine with cheap adapters! I would post a screenshot if I wasn't too lazy.

pbm86

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
The requirement for most AMD cards is because they have only 2 TMDS links. They cannot use more than 2 DVI or 1 DVI and 1 HDMI even if they have more connectors. A few years ago Sapphire released some Flex series cards that had a third TMDS link added through additonal circuitry.