[Build Help] Picking out a Motherboard

Thedap24

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I have a question regarding what route I should go with while upgrading my computer. I currently am upgrading my Motherboard and CPU, all other parts in the PC part picker I currently have.

Route 1: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R9NQpg

This Route I go with a motherboard that has lots of positive reviews and I know someone who is currently using it and has no issues and the CPU is still good.

Route 2: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bYD2XL

This route I go with Intels latest card, but I have to use a motherboard that barely has any reviews and I know nothing about.

Any suggestions and or build changes you guys would make? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LazerTechX

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
If i were you, I'd go with Route 2 because its new. But the question is, do you need Skylake?

If you don't need the little extra performance Skylake gives you in games, the i5 4690K will do you just fine. And your graphics card is an old one too.

Another question is, will you upgrade the same system later on?

If you will upgrade the Skylake system, you will get more latest stuff like DDR4 and current gen CPUs like the Core i7 6700K. But if you upgrade your Haswell system, you will only have a CPU choice e.g. Core i7 4790K and stuck with the last gen DDR3 RAM, not saying that that's a bad thing.

And the last thing is your GPU. Yes, a GTX 660 TI is still good for games at 1080p these days @Medium-High. But if you are still sticking with that GPU for a while, then there is no need for you to upgrade to Skylake over Haswell if your games are GPU heavy.

And my bottom line is this: If you want to play it safe and have an OK performance, go with Haswell, If you want the latest stuff and better future support and better per-core performance, go with Skylake.

Oh yea, about the board, since its new, there are not much reviews about it except for the two on pcpartpicker, its a pretty good board if you ask me. But you can take a look at GIGABYTE's website for drivers support and so on.