Bought a SanDisk SSD and failing to install windows 10 on it

Lexemic

Honorable
Dec 13, 2015
I turned my computer off during an update a few weeks ago and it stopped working. No Post and couldn't enter BIOS and after some troubleshooting we figured out the hard drive was fried.

Bought a SanDisk SSD and replaced the old hard drive in my laptop (Alienware 17) and tried to install windows with an ISO on usb.

After countless attempts, it always returns "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

I've tried different suggestions on secure boot/legacy mode settings and changing, deleting, formatting all the partitions with and without command prompt to clean disk and create primary partitions and all other combinations of partitions.

Even after trying everything I could find on Google I'm still stumped.

I'm hoping someone here can be a hero and give me a solution.

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
Is this installation of Windows 10 via the free upgrade path or anew? If a free upgrade path then reinstall your old OS while you've populated the laptop with SSD and then upgrade to Windows 10. If the installation of Windows 10 is anew then make sure your primary boot device is the UEFI Harddisk Microsoft.... Have you made sure your BIOS is up to date?

Curious, how did you diagnose the HDD is dead?