Laptop Not Picking up My Router Signal But Picks Up Others

Johnny70

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
My HP windows 10 laptop can pick up neighbours router signals however it's not picking up my router despite being it being in the same room and my router being visible to all my other devices, can anyone help?

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
That is not as strange and uncommon as you may think. My router does this on occasion. When it does, I just unplug it for about 2 minutes and then plug it back it. Let it boot back up and it's working again. Some routers aren't that simple though, some may require that you reset it back to factory with the reset button as something in the settings went haywire.

Download and run a wifi scanner like
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html
Make sure you do not have you router using the same channel and a SSid as some other router close by.

2.4 ghz routers will have limited channels and each channel overlaps the two channels next to it. Try to find a channel that is not in use nearby and do not use the default ssid. My condo laptop can see 55 routers. Nasty conflict, many people just get a more powerful router to drown out the other signals. I ended up going to a 5ghz router and updated the laptop wireless card. No conflicts, there was only one other 5ghz router in the area.

move the laptop to about 3 feet from the router then do a total shutdown and restart the laptop and see if it can see the router. (do this to confirm that the wireless card is not in a low power sleep state and not waking up)

What is the make of the router?