Display Port Issues with VG248QE

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,
It's been awhile since I've posted on here but I've searched relentlessly and haven't found a solution to my problem.

My current setup is :

CPU: i7 4790K 4.4Ghz
Mobo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
GPU : Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W

Here's the deal, I am having issues with the Display port output on this particular card. I am currently borrowing this R9 380 from someone to test some things out and I still have my R9 270X fully working beside me.

I have 3 displays:
- a TV that I just switch on from time to time using HDMI
- a normal 60Hz monitor using DVI
- an ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor using Display Port

Now, every output on the card except the Display Port one is working, and my monitor does indeed work with Display port because prior to writing this post, my R9 270X was working flawlessly at 144Hz Display Port. I was wondering if the issue is hardware related (the cable, or the video output) or is there some kind of special configuration that I might need to do?

Solution
Each port used has it`s set range of resolutions from and two in most cases.

In order to display a higher resolution, even with a output or port that is digital the clock signal must be sent via the port along with the correct refresh rate or Hz range for screen image updating or blanking.
Along with other information such as the height and width of the display image.

When you use Dvi for example and wish to reach a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 for example on a monitor say that has a 120Hz refresh mode a Dual Dvi cable connection may have to be used.

When you use a display port of a graphics card there are two cable types that you can use a passive and active cable, when using a 3 monitor setup or one where a third monitor has...
Each port used has it`s set range of resolutions from and two in most cases.

In order to display a higher resolution, even with a output or port that is digital the clock signal must be sent via the port along with the correct refresh rate or Hz range for screen image updating or blanking.
Along with other information such as the height and width of the display image.

When you use Dvi for example and wish to reach a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 for example on a monitor say that has a 120Hz refresh mode a Dual Dvi cable connection may have to be used.

When you use a display port of a graphics card there are two cable types that you can use a passive and active cable, when using a 3 monitor setup or one where a third monitor has a higher overall refresh rate in Hz for a set range of resolutions with it.

The cable may be broken of course. Or it can be down to what DP cable you have if it is active or passive.
Active borrows if i remember some of the signal bandwidth from another port and uses it to double up or pair in order to reach for example 120hz to 144hz a monitor can display at a set resolution. to double the clock or refresh rate.

Port 1 72Hz + Port 2 72Hz= a clock signal of 144Hz.
To achieve a signal lock and display of the image at the set resolution for 144Hz working modes.

So if your DP cable is passive I suggest you try putting in line a Active DP cable or box. It comes also in some cases with a usb connector for an extra 5+v of power to drive the cable so a image can be displayed to the monitor all video cables carry a voltage so the image can be locked in Hz and synced via the horizontal and vertical image display size and screen blanking and timing signals.
If the voltage output is to low it is also the reason why a image that should or wishes to display at 144Hz does not work or why the monitor will refuse to switch to 144Hz operating mode at the selected resolution.

Solution

TheDualshock

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

I believe that the cable is active since I am able to have all three displays running at once (on my R9 270X) and AMD cards need an active adapter to permit more than 2 displays. Every display is at 1080p and a 60hz + 60hz + 144hz does work (once again on my R9 270X). I'd be surprised if the cable just randomly broke on me 10 minutes ago~

That is a load of nonsense. Active/passive only applies when using a display port adapter. And doesn't work at all the way described. But it's completely irrelevant because the monitor in question uses display port not an adapter. Just ignore that mess