Cannot delete a user-created folder on desktop in Windows 10

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
We're getting permissions errors. At first, we needed administrator permissions. Seriously. To delete a folder we created on the desktop ourselves. Not any Windows system files. It's just some Maya work we were playing around with.

Very common problem. Lots of people explaining how to fix it. Badly.

I followed directions on the 10forums, but all that did was change who we had to ask permissions from. Now we have to ask permissions from the user. That would be...ourselves?

Now, OneDrive was never setup. It's actually turned off, not running at startup. I mention it because some suggest it is the root cause.

If this was a Windows 7 or XP machine, I'd use Unlocker and be done. But now I'm getting all these warnings that the normal download site is full of dangerous software.

Seriously, what the hell, Microsoft?

Can anyone help us get this folder off the desktop?

And can anyone tell us why the user is listed with "DESKTOP-3GR043P\" in front of the user's user name?

Thanks for any light you can shine!

Solution
most likely your account is being validated by the local computer rather than by a domain controller or a trusted internet source.

so this would just be the machine name and indicates that the account is trusted by the SAM database on that particular machine. you can start cmd.exe as an admin and run
net.exe command to see info about the accounts and user.

for example
net.exe config rdr
would show the computer name, the user name and the logon domain.
net user
would show the local accounts

net.exe /? brings up help

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
OK, I used Task Manager (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) to stop two Autodesk services that were running in the background. With that done, I was immediately able to delete the folder and its contents.

I really hope this doesn't happen with every Maya file we create.

I'd still like to know what's going on with Unlocker.

I'd still like to know what's up with the garbage in front of the user name we created when installing Windows 10.

So, if you have time....

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
I wish I knew. Windows 10 setup went a bit faster than I would have preferred. There were a number of things I expected to do that never happened.

I wouldn't mind changing that ugly prefix code. Whose idea was that?

chrisg750

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
Check System Properties. That's most likely the full computer name. You'd have to change the computer name by going to Advanced System Settings>Computer Name. Hope this helps.

most likely your account is being validated by the local computer rather than by a domain controller or a trusted internet source.

so this would just be the machine name and indicates that the account is trusted by the SAM database on that particular machine. you can start cmd.exe as an admin and run
net.exe command to see info about the accounts and user.

for example
net.exe config rdr
would show the computer name, the user name and the logon domain.
net user
would show the local accounts

net.exe /? brings up help

Solution