windows 10 clean install, reboots at welcome screen

Solution
Why it reboots is down to a driver not being installed.

The prime cause, can often be because of the initial mode you had set in the bios for your Sata ports of the motherboard.
For example the Sata ports set to Sata mode.

But you did not pre install the Sata driver that came on the motherboard driver cd before you began the windows setup and install.

If you had Sata mode setup and ran the Windows 10 install and setup, where it asks you what drive you wish to install windows to, to the right at the bottom there is an option to add a driver.
You take the windows setup DVD out of the drive and swap it for the motherboard Dvd disk and click on add driver and navigate through the dvd drivers folders of the disk to the Sata driver and...
Why it reboots is down to a driver not being installed.

The prime cause, can often be because of the initial mode you had set in the bios for your Sata ports of the motherboard.
For example the Sata ports set to Sata mode.

But you did not pre install the Sata driver that came on the motherboard driver cd before you began the windows setup and install.

If you had Sata mode setup and ran the Windows 10 install and setup, where it asks you what drive you wish to install windows to, to the right at the bottom there is an option to add a driver.
You take the windows setup DVD out of the drive and swap it for the motherboard Dvd disk and click on add driver and navigate through the dvd drivers folders of the disk to the Sata driver and click install.
Then swap the disk back to the windows install and setup into the dvd drive. select drive to install to then next.

Or to Avoid the Locking up and reset of windows at the loading logo set the Sata ports of the motherboard mode to Achi mode.

Also if you have a Uefi bios make sure if you have a Pci-e based card that the Pci-e interface is set to Peg or Pci-e mode in the order of the settings. And if you have an option to disable the on board Intel graphics options if you are using a Cpu with integrated 3D Gpu.

Make sure also that in your advanced options that CSM mode is enabled.
For any legacy hardware devices.
And that you have Enabled detect any legacy usb devices set in the bios.

If windows was installed via a boot able usb flash drive.
Once the main part of setup of windows has installed after the first reset remove the USB flash device from the system.
Before windows loads off your hard drive to complete it`s setup and configuration.
It can also cause the system to halt and restart if left in a usb port.

It should be one or the other in this list as to why the system is halting at the windows loading logo then the system restarting and looping ok Tommy, just check all of the points mentioned to look at.

You should get windows to load without a freeze and a resetting loop after all the checks ect.

Solution

tommy2steps

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014

That's a brilliantly detailed answer that makes alot of sense
I'll go through it step by step,
though i didn't get a CD with the mobo
I can find the driver here I guess:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A58M-VG3+%20R2.0/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64
( going back to win 8 )

I recall something in event viewer , just before the crash/reboot
to do with a driver for the Harddisk not found /or not updated .

Now I just gotta get that sata driver
one more thing
does it jump out at you from the list in that link

many thanks Shaun

uefi, sata, legacy, - its all got very complicated :)