Best Gaming Monitor Choice?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
My PC has a GTX 770, Intel 3770k, 800W PSU. I want a new monitor.

I was thinking about upgrading my main (middle) monitor which I game on, to a 27 inch monitor. 144 hz, 1ms response of course as I do a lot of FPS gaming. I would also be running one or two Asus monitors on the outsides for extra windows to sit (60hz).

1.) What is the best monitor choice for me? I would prefer to stick to worthy brands such as BenQ or Asus, but I am flexible if it's well reviewed. I like the BenQ XL2730Z, but what is holding me back is it isnt G-Sync. Is Gsync really worth it?
2.) Will my GTX 770 handle these monitors? If not, I can upgrade to a 980 Ti or something of the sort.

Note: I already use the ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144hz. Is it worth upgrading to a new 27 inch with GSync? I think the larger monitor would be nice. What about 4k? Is 4k even a thing yet?

Thank you.

Solution
1. I haven't personally used a G-Sync monitor yet, but most reviews say once you use it, you won't go back to a non-S-Sync monitor for gaming. I also plan to upgrade to a monitor with G-Sync as soon as one also with 1440p/IPS panel/120hz+ drops its price to acceptable level.
2. GTX770 is not enough to drive 1440p smoothly without dialing down the graphics quality. If you don't plan to upgrade the graphics card, I suggest to wait a little bit. Getting a 980Ti is a good idea if budget is not a consideration, but as Nvidia Pascal is coming out soon, I think saving money by getting a GTX970 is a better idea. GTX970 is much powerful than 770, and 970 will hold its value well in the next year.
3. For 4k, I didn't believe it was a big thing...

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
1. I haven't personally used a G-Sync monitor yet, but most reviews say once you use it, you won't go back to a non-S-Sync monitor for gaming. I also plan to upgrade to a monitor with G-Sync as soon as one also with 1440p/IPS panel/120hz+ drops its price to acceptable level.
2. GTX770 is not enough to drive 1440p smoothly without dialing down the graphics quality. If you don't plan to upgrade the graphics card, I suggest to wait a little bit. Getting a 980Ti is a good idea if budget is not a consideration, but as Nvidia Pascal is coming out soon, I think saving money by getting a GTX970 is a better idea. GTX970 is much powerful than 770, and 970 will hold its value well in the next year.
3. For 4k, I didn't believe it was a big thing until I purchased a new Sony 4k TV and watched some 4k videos. It's really that good to watch videos, but for gaming, it will require the absolutely best and expensive hardware configuration at the moment.

For me, I plan to stay with 1080p/1440p until next next gen Nvidia Pascal comes out. I have a Geforce 980 btw.

Solution

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I appreciate the great info. I think I will hold out until Nvidias new cards drop.