GTX 980ti - SLI Ref with Non Reference

PROHDGaming

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Dear Community

I have Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 in my rig and I will soon have GTX 980ti reference card from Nvidia - would it be good idea to pair them in SLI? or should i just sale reference GPU and get another G1 ? I will be soon upgrading to Skylake platform with Maximum Hero 8 mobo

I love doing 4K gaming at Medium to high settings on various titles

PS: I dont have water cooling in my rig expect AIO cooler for CPU

PC part-list (soon to be) is here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L69nP6

Advised needed

Thank you

Prash

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

You can try it I guess and see what happens. All that should really happen is your G1 Ti will slow down to the speeds of the ref card. Even still i'm thinking you should get decent framerates at 4k. I can't give an exact frame-rate margin. I will say one thing though, if you end up getting another G1 make sure there is space between them. I did SLI and Tri-SLI with G1 gaming cards and I always had temp problems with the windforce fans even on larger motherboards. Those fans drench the cards below it with heat.

Good luck!

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Yes ProHDGaming, it will work just fine. The cards will clock themselves to the highest possible clock both cards are rated at. You'll be able to enjoy 4k with two 980tis at high settings. Enjoy the shit out of them :p

Lun4i, there is no need to quote the first post.

PROHDGaming

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply
I do want to get another G1, I have quite big case - Phanteks Enthoo PRO, and quite a bit of fans in it too ! I just have to make sure that they dont get too much heat ! G1 is fantastic card as it boosts really nicely without any OC ! also do you think existing PSU is enough?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Sorry for late response. If you are not planning on pushing them far beyond what they already are I believe your power supply is fine. If you can find a 1000W at the same price that wouldn't hurt.

Just a little advice, if you can, put your Ref card above your G1 card once you SLI them. That should greatly improve temps.

Good luck!

PROHDGaming

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Thanks everyone

G1 980ti has not been overclocked at all, it boost really nicely itself; but if I SLI with non ref card, I will not boost as it is doing it now right?

How do I overclock in SLI setup specially when you have ref and non ref pair?? any guide?

Thanks

Prash