question for you security techs out there

Cvdasf

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014
What kind of background do you guys have as far as schooling goes? How did you get employed? My ideal situation would be to take something like this. https://www.carrollcc.edu/CECertificates/Certificate---Cyber-Security/

that would mean me being certified in a few different things ( read it if youd like)

Would that be good? Or would I need to do more/less?

My problem is that while I did very well in high school I dont think I could do the advanced maths that go along with actual 2-4 year programs. Any suggestions or useful information would be very helpful :)

EDIT: I'm in the USA if that matters.

Solution
I second Math Geek's response. ( +1).

During my career I saw it work both ways; Certs - no degrees, no certs - degrees. Both good and bad people on both ends of the spectrum there.

What really matters is your ability to convince a propective employer that you can do the job, be reliable, trustworthy, and work as a team member.

Sometimes employers have no choice but to require certifications and/or degrees. Common for some contracts with the government but often x number of years of experience can be substituted. Look at job listings and position descriptions as Yeticorn suggested - you can learn a lot about what is required or may be required even. You can get hired with a contingency that you complete certain training or...

yeticorn

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
There are colleges and universities with degrees specifically in cybersecurity now, so if you want to get into the field I would go that route if I were you (assuming you have the time/finances to do so). If you are simply looking to get certificates to build a resume, there are plenty out there from CompTIA, ISC2, ECCouncil, you name it.

Cvdasf

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

dont those universities/colleges require you to take a lot of "general" classes aswell? thats my problem. Dont want to spend two years before hand doing stupid crap like history, physiology, biology, ect.

yeticorn

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
That is true, but for that reason 4 year degrees are usually given more gravitas by prospective employers. That's not to say any other degree isn't worth it, but the market views bachelor's degrees in higher prestige over associate's just as master's degrees have higher prestige when compared to a bachelor's. As stated, if all you're looking for is to get a handful of certificates then all you need is a couple hundred bucks and some time to study.

Cvdasf

Reputable
Aug 15, 2014

But would it be worth my while? I dont want to get to a bunch of certifications to find that there are no jobs unless you had a degree.

yeticorn

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
An easy solution would be to browse jobs the pique your interest and see what certifications / level of education they require. A pattern should emerge of what qualifications employers are looking for in potential employees.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i did not look very hard years back when i was thinking of moving into this field but i was normally asked about specific certifications before a degree. not saying this is how it is in every case but in my case the degree did not seem like it was as important to the people i was looking into as the various certs were.

i am completely self taught and have not bothered paying for any of the pieces of paper that say i know what i know. as such i was unable to get any job in the field despite knowing a ton more than the people working there who had the pieces of paper collecting dust in their desks.

if you wish to get into the field, the certifications are a minimum and the degree is preferable from what i have seen. true the degree takes a lot of extra classes but in the end it is worth it for the extra money you make. i was shown pay scales that were minimum for the certs and a a good bit higher if i had the degree to go with it. it did not seem like a master's degree was worth it at all as once you have the job, the experience and other factors are what went into advancement. more than likely to move into management will want degrees closer to an MBA.

one rout to avoid a lot of the nonsense classes in college is to look into the military. they will train you in anything with no experience so long as you have the ASVAB score they want to gain entry. you can come out of 4-6 yrs in the military with all kinds of training in all types of information security and networking as well as 4 more years of college through the GI bill to pursue whatever floats your boat. it's not for everyone but it is a good opportunity for many people.

Ralston18

Titan
I second Math Geek's response. ( +1).

During my career I saw it work both ways; Certs - no degrees, no certs - degrees. Both good and bad people on both ends of the spectrum there.

What really matters is your ability to convince a propective employer that you can do the job, be reliable, trustworthy, and work as a team member.

Sometimes employers have no choice but to require certifications and/or degrees. Common for some contracts with the government but often x number of years of experience can be substituted. Look at job listings and position descriptions as Yeticorn suggested - you can learn a lot about what is required or may be required even. You can get hired with a contingency that you complete certain training or education requirements within a specified time.

Also voting for the military route if that is viable for you. Great way to get started and some of the training will translate towards college work and degrees.

Solution