Sign in with
Your question

Intel® Atom™ D525 Dual-Core vs Intel Celeron 743

Last response: in CPUs
September 20, 2010 12:58:44 PM

Hello,

I need to choose between Intel® Atom™ D525 Dual-Core or Intel Celeron 743.

What you recommend? Why?

Thanks
a c 131 à CPUs
September 20, 2010 8:59:06 PM

That's a tough choice. The Atom is a dual core but its architecture is weak compared to the core 2. I guess it depends what you are doing. If you need a fast single core, the celeron is the way to go. But if you don't, or don't know what that means, then you should probably go Atom. I am of course assuming performance is the main goal. If it is power, the celeron uses less.
a c 141 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 21, 2010 12:51:32 AM

<scratches head> The Atom 525 is clocked higher (500Mhz higher), Dual core, hyperthreaded, 64bit, more secure thanks to execute bit disabled bit, supports SSE2. SSE3, and SSSE3 and has an avg passmark score of 719 yet you thisnk a 1.3Ghz celeron with a passmark score of just over 480 is more capable? Maybe because it saves you 3w an hour? Yes, every 2 weeks it will save you a quarter on the electric bill. LoL.

yes I vote Atom D525 all the way.
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 1:36:28 AM

popatim said:
<scratches head> The Atom 525 is clocked higher (500Mhz higher), Dual core, hyperthreaded, 64bit, more secure thanks to execute bit disabled bit, supports SSE2. SSE3, and SSSE3 and has an avg passmark score of 719 yet you thisnk a 1.3Ghz celeron with a passmark score of just over 480 is more capable? Maybe because it saves you 3w an hour? Yes, every 2 weeks it will save you a quarter on the electric bill. LoL.

yes I vote Atom D525 all the way.

This celeron 743 is based on the core 2 architecture.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/79?vs=74

The celeron 420 is based on the core 2 architecture and both CPUs above are the same clockspeed and single core processors. They also have the same amount of cache. The core-based CPU is nearly twice as fast in most applications.
celeron 420: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/Intel-Celeron%204...(BX80557420%20-%20BXC80557420).html

And here is a closer comparison, the atom being a dual core, the celeron a single core:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/110?vs=74

Now take into account the clockspeed differences by bumping up the atom to 1.8GHz and the celeron down to 1.3GHz.
Take a look at the cinebench R10 benchmarks, single and multithreaded. Taking clockspeed changes into consideration, the atom owns multi-threaded (thanks partly not only to the second core but also hyperthreading) but the celeron would be quite a bit faster in single-threaded applications.
Note that I have not adjusted for the fact that the celeron 743 is based on the Penryn core 2 rather than the older Conroe that the celeron 420 is based on. I'm not sure of the potential performance gains.
The major downfall of the atom is that it doesn't support out-of-order execution, like every other modern x86 CPU.

Maybe because it saves you 3w an hour? Yes, every 2 weeks it will save you a quarter on the electric bill. LoL.
Electric bill? I see you forgot that most atoms and ULV celerons are in notebooks, where battery life is important. Smaller notebooks that are more common for these processors do not have the space for a large battery. "best" means different things for different people. I assumed performance but I wanted to cover all my bases.

Also, passmark? Really? I wouldn't trust them to be very accurate when the processors are closer in performance. Especially since people randomly send in those scores. Passmark is also multi-threaded and a "general" benchmark. A few obvious examples:
i7 970 3.2GHz beating the i7 980X
"AMD Athlon IIx3 440" and "Athlon IIx3 440" listed at 200 points apart from eachother
There's numerous other examples, some more dramatic. But I've come to realize that passmark can only be used as a generalization if processors are not scored to close together.

The Atom 525 is clocked higher (500Mhz higher), Dual core, hyperthreaded, 64bit, more secure thanks to execute disable bit, supports SSE2. SSE3, and SSSE3
The celeron 743 also supports all those bolded. Perhaps you were thinking of the Pentium II based celeron? That's the last time I saw an intel processor that didn't support SSE2. It was introduced in the pentium 4. So was EDB.
For per core performance, the Atom would have to be clocked a lot higher to be able to keep up.
September 21, 2010 8:08:11 AM

thanks!
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 4:34:37 PM

The asus one has a higher resolution monitor and has a faster graphics chip. It depends on what you want to do with the computer. More than likely, the asus one will be the better choice for you.
a c 141 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 22, 2010 2:49:19 AM

We seem to agree on the Asus at least. <thumbs up>

Here are more benchmarks for the two processors just in case someone else is looking for info on these. The celeron does have some advantages over the Atom esp in heavy coomputing arenas, see Cinebench rendering scores, but the Atom with its dual cores has the advantage under 'general use' imo.
D525 - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Atom-D525-Notebook-P...
M 743 - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Celeron-M-743-Notebo...
September 22, 2010 8:01:49 AM

enzo matrix said:
The asus one has a higher resolution monitor and has a faster graphics chip. It depends on what you want to do with the computer. More than likely, the asus one will be the better choice for you.

I need it to work, word and internet, every where.
Thanks
September 22, 2010 8:04:12 AM

popatim said:
We seem to agree on the Asus at least. <thumbs up>

Here are more benchmarks for the two processors just in case someone else is looking for info on these. The celeron does have some advantages over the Atom esp in heavy coomputing arenas, see Cinebench rendering scores, but the Atom with its dual cores has the advantage under 'general use' imo.
D525 - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Atom-D525-Notebook-P...
M 743 - http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Celeron-M-743-Notebo...

Thanks.
Asus will be!
a c 131 à CPUs
September 22, 2010 12:26:57 PM

arpbr said:
I need it to work, word and internet, every where.
Thanks

Well, in that case the GPU doesn't matter. Nonetheless, the Asus will provide slightly better performance for your tasks.

Both are capable though. You should factor in aesthetics and battery life.
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2010 2:45:28 PM

Indeed! Atoms tend to have more battery life <- very important to me
September 22, 2010 2:49:03 PM

enzo matrix said:
Well, in that case the GPU doesn't matter. Nonetheless, the Asus will provide slightly better performance for your tasks.

Both are capable though. You should factor in aesthetics and battery life.

one more time thanks
Battery life is vital!
September 22, 2010 2:53:12 PM

amdfangirl said:
Indeed! Atoms tend to have more battery life <- very important to me

I agree!
Thanks!
I've already made my decision.
September 22, 2010 2:54:32 PM

I'll let you know if it was a good choice.
!