Help with Windows 10 free upgrade by reusing Windows 8.1 OEM product key

Mechanics55

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014
I have contacted Microsoft a few times and read many forums but I cannot seem to get a firm answer. I currently have an AMD motherboard with Windows 8.1 OEM installed on a hard drive (here is the EXACT place that I bought my copy of Windows 8.1)

I recently bought an LGA 1150 intel motherboard to install my new i7-4790K. I have contacted Microsoft about the free upgrade since I am replacing my motherboard. All three have said that with the most recent "November Update" to Windows 10, that it allows you to reuse Windows 7/8/8.1 product keys for Windows 10. But everywhere else I read I hear that I need a new product key in order to activate it. Microsoft's website even says that you may need to contact Microsoft if you need help activating. The Microsoft representative also told me that an OEM license is one that comes with a pre-built/pre-installed PC. I built this PC myself and bought my own copy of Windows from the previous link. It says OEM, not retail. Basically, I want to know if I can download the media creation tool from Microsoft's website, burn an ISO file to a USB drive, install Windows 10 onto my new SSD, and then reuse my ALREADY ACTIVATED Windows 8.1 product key when prompted to enter a product key. I cannot get a firm answer anywhere about this. My last part comes in tomorrow and my only other option is to download Windows which is around $70 more or wait 5 days for a disc delivery. If this free upgrade works by reusing my Windows 8.1 product key then I'll do that. Any help is appreciated!

Hi

The licence for win 8 oem is different from 7 before and 8.1 after
It allows oem win 8 purchased by a self builder to transfer to a new pc or motherboard

This means your oem 8.1 is not transferable to a new pc or motherboard nor is the pc after 8.1 is upgraded to 10

Regards
Mike Barnes

bignastyid

Titan
Technically your windows 8.1 license is tied to the original motherboard in the system you installed it on. So where you are upgrading the motherboard you need to buy a new license. You maybe able to get past this buy asking Microsoft's permission to move the licence to a new machine.

Mechanics55

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

That's what I keep reading, but the Microsoft support seems to be telling me I can reuse the 8.1 product key. I think that they just don't understand my explanation to them. I think you're right. Could you please tell me the difference between these two?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Pro-Flash-Drive/dp/B01019TDJ8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1451510630&sr=8-8&keywords=windows+10

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-System-Builder-Disc/dp/B00ZSHDJ4O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1451510630&sr=8-5&keywords=windows+10

One is $120 and one is $199. I can't see how Microsoft can justify selling Windows 10 Pro Download for $80 more just for a download rather than a day or two of shipping.

bignastyid

Titan
The $200 version looks like a retail copy and the $120 version is OEM. If Microsoft gave you the thumbs up its worth a try. Worst comes to worst it wont activate, they apologize for being idiots and misinforming you, and you have to use the trial period why you wait for a key. Most likly if they told you you can move it and it wont activate they will help you activate it.

Mechanics55

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

That's exactly my plan. So does it just install as normal? And how long is the "trial period" and what happens after that period ends? And should I try installing by using the Media Creation Tool to see if my previous product key actually works? Doubtful, but still worth a try, as you said.

Mechanics55

Honorable
Jun 27, 2014

That article just answered a TON of my questions. Thank you!

Jay_32

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

No, You can't use an OEM license key! Microsoft does not support OEM products at all! As far as I know the OEM Windows disc is not even made by Microsoft! Microsoft sells the Manufacturer the rights to install an OEM Windows OS on a PC and is only to be supported by that manufacturer only! So if you bought an OEM disc then you are the one who supports it! That's why an OEM disc is $99 versus a retail disc at $199! I hope this answers your question! If you have a retail Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 disc that hasn't been used then you can use the product key from that disc! Good luck & Happy New Year! Jay Smith, Paterson, NJ

TRENDING THREADS