Run GeForce GTX 650Ti on HP Pavilion P6-2040fr (Solution)

MaesterGlitch

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
After much sweat and virtual tears, I've finally found a fast graphics card that works on my son's HP Pavilion P6-2040fr: MSI GeForce GTX 650Ti. It took a lot of research, troubleshooting, and rooting around on the Internet to deduce what to use in his computer. I started with an MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti after installing two successfully on other machines. When I put the 750 in the HP, the motherboard essentially rejected it. I could not get past the HP welcome page, and none of the key commands worked. I tried numerous fixes suggested on this forum and others, but no go. I returned the card and spent a couple of evenings searching forums, websites, etc., but no one said to use a specific card to replace the GeForce GT 520 card in the computer. I finally waited an hour to connect with a tech at Nvidia. He suggested the 960 and the 660. However, the 960 specs on the Nvidia website did not list PCI Express 2.0 support. (Yes, PCI Express 2.0 slots can support PCI Express 3.0 cards, but ... not all of them, and I've been dealing with a very particular computer.) The specs for the 660 showed PCI Express 3.0 and 2.0 support, but I searched the net for cards of this type, and the ones that I found were overpriced and usually used. But I found several new 650Ti cards, and I got one delivered in two days. And it works perfectly: no lag, high-resolution game play, etc. My son's upstairs battling away on COD BO II at the highest settings. He's a very happy camper.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sometimes a guy just has to brag on himself... lol. I don't blame you. You did good. Getting an older OEM machine to play nice with modern components can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. Congrats. Hope your son appreciates what you went thru.