24 inch Monitor Suggestions, TN or IPS?

Lt_mcmuffin22

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Looking to buy a new monitor to upgrade from the ASUS VX228H that I currently own. Not sure which monitor, or panel type I should go for.
I play many different types of games, but primarily FPS/RPG/MMO games (i.e. Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Battlefront, Just Cause 3, Battlefield, WoW) however I don't play any crazy competitively, albeit I am competitive with my friends. Color quality and picture quality are very important to me as well. My budget would be around $350 for the monitor.
What recommendations would everyone have? Thanks in advance!

Solution
Personally as a heavy FPS player, I use TN panels as they offer the highest response time and refresh rate over IPS panels. It seems like you play whatever looks interesting to you. When you say that color quality and picture quality are very important to you, how important is that? The color and picture quality you'll get on a TN panel is more than fine and high end IPS panels are typically not used for gaming, none the less the ones in your price range.

These are the two I'd reccomend near the $350 range.

ASUS VG248QE
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=VG248QE

BenQ XL2430T...

S4STINDUBZ

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Personally as a heavy FPS player, I use TN panels as they offer the highest response time and refresh rate over IPS panels. It seems like you play whatever looks interesting to you. When you say that color quality and picture quality are very important to you, how important is that? The color and picture quality you'll get on a TN panel is more than fine and high end IPS panels are typically not used for gaming, none the less the ones in your price range.

These are the two I'd reccomend near the $350 range.

ASUS VG248QE
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=VG248QE

BenQ XL2430T
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2430T-Gaming-Monitor-Response/dp/B00M8E0K06/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451508566&sr=8-1&keywords=XL2430T

Both offer a 144hz refresh rate and 1ms response time.

Solution

S4STINDUBZ

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

I think spending over $1K on a monitor is really only an option if you have a fireplace fueled by money. It makes a lot more sense to either value performance with TN or value color quality with IPS.

I agree. I have the Asus VG248QE, and I'm quite happy with it. Incidentally the price on that monitor has gone up almost a hundred dollars since I bought mine. That is a testament that it is a great monitor.

S4STINDUBZ

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Yes I have as well have two of the ASUS panels myself. Excellent performance. +1

Lt_mcmuffin22

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

Right now the main problem I have with my monitor (the ASUS VX228H) is that it seems like it over sharpens images and doesn't have very true colors. So in terms of how important it would be, I suppose really I just want the images that are displayed to be better than what I'm currently getting.

I've looked at the XL2430T however I've heard/read that the LG 24GM77-B has amazing color correctness and is a better display in terms of color than the XL2430T. Do you think there's any merit to that statement?

S4STINDUBZ

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

No I don't think that is accurate. They are both TN panels so they will be nearly the same in color correction. The benq has more options for motion blur reduction over the LG so that one has my vote.

Lt_mcmuffin22

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

I have, although to no avail. I have a hard time using the OSD that comes with this particular monitor, and the changes I try to make can't seem to aleviate my problem. It also doesn't help that I can't seem to find calibration settings from other people anywhere on the internet.

I checked if there was a color profile for that monitor, but there wasn't ( at http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#a).

There is a color profile for the VG248QE. Many do say that it has a washed out look to it. But that is just because it is so bright. You literally have to turn the brightness down to around 30% for a good picture. With the color profile installed my picture is very near to the HDTV picture quality.