Desperately need help! New custom built PC randomly stops sending signal to monitors mid gameplay

Bfallneu

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hi I helped my nephew build a computer for Christmas and he has been having some trouble. Midway through any graphic intensive games the monitor will just receiving a signal, it displays no signal and audio can still be heard on about a 15 second loop of the what was previously going on.

This is the parts list of what the build consists of
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VcCVkL

I believe all of the power cables are properly seated, the bios has been updated to latest version of 2103 for windows 10, and I believe we have updated all the drivers needed.

If anyone could tell me anything that might be causing this problem I would appreciate it immensely.

Brandon

Solution
I would first start then by taking out one of the two 16Gb sticks.

RAM sets do not always play nice with each other, even if exactly the same make/model/etc. They are sold in matched kits guaranteed to work together, whereas separate kits can have slight differences that can behave weirdly.....especially under heavy load.

This isn't necessarily the cause, but to eliminate it as being a possibility, I would go down to one 16Gb kit for now.

JNicko

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
Could be a faulty piece of hardware
What temperature is your GPU at under game load?
Do you have your monitor plugged into an extension lead with something else? For example, I had a fridge plugged into an extension plug along with my monitor (pc gets its own plug socket ofc), and when the fridge booted up every now and then, the power to my monitor would go off for a few seconds
Have you tried other monitors?

Bfallneu

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
GPU is around 50C with the CPU a little lower. Both monitors are occupying both outlet slots however are connected to the computer with a DVI to HDMI converter cable. We have not tried other monitors

JNicko

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
And the issue occurs on both monitors in your set up?
If so, then it's going to be a problem with your pc

Tbh, I'm out of my depth with this one, hopefully someone can identify the problem and help you out

Geekwad

Admirable
I would first start then by taking out one of the two 16Gb sticks.

RAM sets do not always play nice with each other, even if exactly the same make/model/etc. They are sold in matched kits guaranteed to work together, whereas separate kits can have slight differences that can behave weirdly.....especially under heavy load.

This isn't necessarily the cause, but to eliminate it as being a possibility, I would go down to one 16Gb kit for now.

Solution