PC died during game play, instant crash and will no longer power on unless gpu cord is diconnected

bdude711

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
First time posting a thread here but have long since read others, so bare with me here. I was playing on my computer yesterday when all of the sudden the whole thing crashed completely out of nowhere, no freezing just instant crash. Immediately I went to try to turn it back on in which case the computer did nothing. After taking the case side off and trying it again I noticed that the only thing that happened was the PSU fan spun barely and stopped and occasionally the motherboard light would turn on for half a second as well. I discovered that if I left the graphics card in the motherboard still, but just disconnected the PCIE connector both 8 and 6 pin from the card the pc would fire up and work fine just not have the power of the GPU of course. In fact I am using it to write this thread right now. I have tried my friends older GPU (A GTX 670) and it worked with this card. My GPU is a R9 390 and I am curious as to whether or not I somehow destroyed my GPU or I no longer have enough power to run it being that I only have a corsair CX600M power supply. I know this is weak for the GPU but it worked fine for almost 3 months. I was planning on upping wattage soon. The strange thing is, although I was testing the system pretty good playing ark survival evolved at pretty high settings, it was not the most it has been tested before (no overclock at all). I have tried disconnecting all but the bare essentials keeping the graphics card plugged in to try and get more power but it still does nothing.The rest of my hardware consist of...
CPU- i5 4690k stock clocked, stock cooler
RAM- 16gb of g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1600
Harddrive- 1TB western digital blue
GPU- R9 390 powercolor edition
Motherboard- Gigabyte z97x gaming 5
Fans- 6 3pin fans from coolermaster
Standard read write DVD drive from Asus
PSU- CX600M from corsair
Backup GPU- GTX 670 from MSI
PCIE wifi card
Windows 10 64 bit
Also the temps during the time of crash were relatively low for both CPU and GPU (Low to mid 60's Celsius) and have never been in the 70's before.
Any help at all would be appreciated seeing as that tomorrow I am going to try the GPU in my friends PC and if that doesn't work I am going to RMA to powercolor. His PC consists of literally almost the exact components of mine however he only has 12 gigs of RAM and brands are different. He also has a 750 watt PSU. If you have read this far I appreciate it as well as your feedback, thanks.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The CX line of PSUs isn't the best, but it's not typically a brand that's really dangerous compared t some of the really low level stuff. Testing another GPU as you're doing tomorrow is a good idea - you'll know more after that. My money's on your 390 heading to GPU Heaven earlier than expected without a specific power supply-related issue (though it's possible of course).

bdude711

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
That's definitely what I had in mind. Also I talked to the guy from powercolor and he suggested I uninstall my GPU drivers and reinstall them which I tried with no luck. I also fear that when I had a booting issue previously (A couple weeks ago) in which I had to update the motherboard bios to the new version I occidentally plugged in the GPU while the computer was running :(. The results was some smoke and the horrible smell of burning money. However I thought i got lucky since the GPU continued to work afterwards.

bdude711

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Also, wow I had no idea I was in a tier 4 range I thought that since it was 80 plus bronze I was sitting pretty :(

bdude711

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

That's definitely what I had in mind. Also I talked to the guy from powercolor and he suggested I uninstall my GPU drivers and reinstall them which I tried with no luck. I also fear that when I had a booting issue previously (A couple weeks ago) in which I had to update the motherboard bios to the new version I occidentally plugged in the GPU while the computer was running :( . The results was some smoke and the horrible smell of burning money. However I thought i got lucky since the GPU continued to work afterwards.