Looking to buy a new gaming monitor

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015
1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
Australia
2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Gaming, school work, browsing and general use
3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
still deciding with 24" or 27" and 1080p or 1440p (I have a GTX 970 Asus Strix)
4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
Preferably 144hz if the monitor is 24" and 1080p
5. How much are you looking to spend?
for a 24" around 400-500 AUD and for 27" around 700+
6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
Preferred Asus or Benq or any reputable brand
7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
None
8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
Only the one
9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
No clue
10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
HDMI or DisplayPort
11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
Primary
12. Is This A Secondary Display For A Laptop?
No

I heard that Acer XB240H is a good 24" monitor and it has the same spec as VG248QE but with G-sync. I also have been thinking about the XB270HU which is a 27" 1440p monitor with 1ms reponse time and 144Hz refresh rate but it costs AUD$999 or is it better to go 4k with the XB281HK but the only downside is that I think it only have a max of 60Hz refresh rate. If I were to buy the bigger screen is it better to have the 4k or the refresh rate ? If I'm on a tight budget should I go for the ASUS VG248QE or the Acer XB240H ?

Here is the list of the monitors that are mentioned :

Acer Predator XB240H 24" G-SYNC 144Hz 1MS LED Gaming Monitor AUD$449
Acer Predator XB270HU 27" G-SYNC 144Hz IPS 4MS LED Gaming Monitor AUD$999
Acer Predator XB281HK 28" G-SYNC 2 4K 1MS LED Gaming Monitor AUD$899
Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD WS 1MS 144Hz LED Gaming Monitor AUD$449

It really all depends on those questions you answered with "no clue" - your graphics card is responsible for driving the monitor and most cards won't drive a 4K monitor. even 1440P monitors may require a high(er)-end card.

It also depends heavily on the types of games you play. Both from the framerate perspective, and from the benefit of G-sync. And besides, G-Sync only works if you have an Nvidia GPU.

GPU-Z or Speccy are both good tools to find ut what GPU you have and more or less what it's capabilities are. If you get Speccy, make sure you don't install the add-on payload - Piriform is reputable, but like many other places, they make money off offering additional programs during install.

Mike_jo3

Honorable
Nov 9, 2015

Sorry for the lack of info but as this is my first PC build I have not build the PC yet. But what I do know that I have a GTX 970 and it has 4 output DVI-D, DVI-I, DisplayPort and HDMI. The games I play are Fallout 4, GTA V, Metal Gear Solid V, Dying Light, Dota2 and CSGO. I was thinking of whether to buy a good display and upgrade my graphics card later or just buy a cheap display.Like this one Acer Predator XB240H 24" G-SYNC 144Hz 1MS LED Gaming Monitor