"CRITICAL ERROR Start menu and cortana aren't work" - I think I've tried every fix on the internet (Windows 10)

ENJOIPANDABURGERS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I posted this on the Microsoft forums but got no help so lets see if you guys can help me,

so quite a few people have this problem but I've tried so many fixes with no luck and it is very frustrating because lot's of programs do not work at all and some that do crash every half a minute. Something very strange is that when I am using Google extremely often the internet connection will seamlessly be lost I have to click on the bottom bar (that is spazzed out with missing icons) and it will return the connection temporarily, strange. this has been going on a week.

Things I've tried
* power shell and Cmd prompt commands
* renaming a file in program data I don't remember the name of
* refreshing windows 10 (got an error so it couldn't perform it)
* Un-installing antivirus
* booting into to safe mode then quickly back out ( weird known to help others)
* other things

Things that may be of note?
*when i open display settings from the desktop i have the error "this app can't run on your pc"
* a common error I get when a program doesn't work is "the operating system is not presently configured to run this application."
* cortana does not show in Task manager
* my windows 10 became ingenuine for no reason a couple of weeks ago, could not having genuine windows mean i cant do some things?

it's worrying because if Microsoft fixes this in the next build i bet my computer won't receive that update.
Not exactly sure what information is needed to help me but anything is appreciated.
THANKS

DaCobbler

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
(kinda) Same here. Not as worse as yours but still annoying. I can't seem to access my Start Menu and none of the fixes worked.

So for now, all I can do is to not use it at all. I mainly use it to search files and other features like Windows Update. Instead, I use CMD now. I CTRL+Alt+Delete, go to Task Manager, and File->New Task, and that's how I find things like Windows Update ( ms-settings:windowsupdate ). Sadly, you have to be really precise and you wont be able to find files like pictures, MS Word docs, etc.

I tried finding Windows Updates but apparently i'm up to date as well :/

It's definitely annoying, especially given that MS doesn't seem to have an answer (that works for me or you)

ENJOIPANDABURGERS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

well my file explorer still works (apart from the search bar) which is good since i am not up to scratch with CMD, speaking of which how do you launch windows update from CMD? as i have no way of checking for an update since half the things in control panel dont work

thanks

DaCobbler

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

Well, searching for files and programs on Windows Explorer is painfully long X_x

The CMD code for Windows Update is ms-settings:windowsupdate

And yeah, it's dumb Windows Update is no longer on Control Panel. Like, how are people supposed to access it if the Start Menu doesn't work, MS :facepalm:

From what I've heard, MS has been notified about this increasing number of Start Menu errors that can't be fixed atm. Unfortunately, there's no fix yet so hopefully they'll have one soon :)

ENJOIPANDABURGERS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Ok at least now i know there's no point spamming my computer with fixes and just wait for an update

although the windows update cmd shows error "the file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"
i just hope i will receive the update when its released.

DaCobbler

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Oh, I discovered a way that 'fixes' the issue. Well, it's more like an alternative than fixing it.

You can get back your Start Menu by *Creating a New Account* on your computer.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Go to the "Create a new user account" part.

It's worked for me :D And yeah, you'll have to move your personal files (i.e. Pictures, Videos, etc.) over to your new account but it's REALLY FAST (at least for me). It's a nuisance but your programs will (mostly) work (i've had to install programs like Skype again but most programs still work) and the transfer of personal files is pretty quick.

Hope it helps :)

L3Nix64

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

This worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip

ENJOIPANDABURGERS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks for the reply

i couldn't do this through control panel but i managed to do it in CMD and the new account has all the exact same problems

DaCobbler

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Oh damn, man... I think it might be Dropbox...

"I know it's been a few months but I finally resolved this a week or so ago and wanted to let you know what it was. I found a random comment online saying that Dropbox on Windows 10 screws with OneDrive and can cause the critical error. I uninstalled Dropbox from my computer and everything works like a charm now, so that seems to have been the problem."
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3mjkt9/critical_error_when_opening_windows_10_start_menu/

I'm going to try that because the error returned :/ Just when I thought my new account was ready to go, I received a critical error message >_<

Hopefully Dropbox being uninstalled will help :D

DaCobbler

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
HOLY CRAP! IT WORKS!!! :D :D :D

Uninstalled it, waited for a bit after it was uninstalled, and START MENU IS BACK :D :D :D

Hey, Microsoft (and Dropbox)!
https://youtu.be/DtRNg5uSKQ0

Or at least tell users that it's Dropbox. The only reason I found it was because I randomly stumbled on a Windows forums that mentioned this fix, whilst being surrounded by hundreds of other comments and posts >_< Lucky that I read through each page and post :V